Goji Berries

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Goji Berries

Post by foxd »

Is anybody growing Gojiberry plants?

I've gotten interested in trying to raise these, though the price of plants & seeds has kind of surprised me. I did buy some dried Gojiberries, soaked them for a few hours, then extracted and planted the seeds. I don't know if this will work though. If not, I guess I pay $25 a plant.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

RE: Goji Berries

Post by Iowaboo »

what's the botanical name? Differing opinions on what constitutes a goji. [/u]
foxd

Re: RE: Goji Berries

Post by foxd »

Iowaboo wrote:what's the botanical name? Differing opinions on what constitutes a goji. [/u]
Indeed there are differing opinions, though I think it is a matter of different cultivars of Lycium barbarum having different flavors.

The berries are edible enough to justify growing them and they seem well suited for the Indiana climate. Considering that most of the plant is edible*, deer protection seems in order.

-----------------------------------------------

*edible in the non-internet sense of tasting good and being good for you, rather than the internet sense of being able to survive long enough to force it down your throat.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

I've had a plant for a couple years, but it does nothing. I'm guessing they may need partial shade away from the intense heat, because it grows good in the spring, then july and august try to kill it. We'll see if its alive this spring! :!: I think your suggesting that it is palatable, rather than just edible. There are alot of natural foods that are on that questionable line. Americans have such addiction to sugar and salt and many other things that natural food seems blah, until you get in the groove of it.
foxd

Post by foxd »

Iowaboo wrote:I think your suggesting that it is palatable, rather than just edible. There are alot of natural foods that are on that questionable line. Americans have such addiction to sugar and salt and many other things that natural food seems blah, until you get in the groove of it.
More a case that I've seen poisonous plants listed as edible because people do eat them, but they don't survive the experience. I feel you have to easily survive eating something in order to regard it as edible. If you can die from eating a plant, it should not be listed as "good on salads!"
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Jeff: Igor's Apprentice
Location info: 0

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

More a case that I've seen poisonous plants listed as edible because people do eat them, but they don't survive the experience. I feel you have to easily survive eating something in order to regard it as edible. If you can die from eating a plant, it should not be listed as "good on salads!"
Acccch! You're such a hair splitter!!!! :roll: :wink:
foxd

Post by foxd »

Having given up on trying to germinate dried seeds from Gojiberries, I found a place on-line which sells the plants for $6 a piece. I ordered four and they will be delivered in August. :(

Meanwhile, the Gojiberry seeds have started sprouting. :oops:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Sounds like a win-win situation
foxd

Post by foxd »

After much experimentation, I think I've decided out a few things.

1) Despite what a few websites say, under normal conditions, Gojiberry seeds have a high rate of germination.

2) The germination conditions suggested on a few websites are not normal.

3) Despite what a few websites say, planting a whole berry will produce a clump of seedlings.

4) The best looking plants so far are the ones from a whole berry that was planted.

5) The whole procedure of soaking a dried berry for four hours, then ripping it open and removing the seeds with tweezers is a royal pain.

At this point I have decided my best bet is just to clear an area and plant berries. It may not give a high survival rate for the seedlings, but a package of dried Gojiberries holds a lot of berries.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Just make sure ya give them a bit shade mate, otherwise, you'll be as unhappy as a guppy on concrete, on a sunny summer day. I betcha warn from other dangers, too.
foxd

Post by foxd »

I changed my strategy again since I last posted. Based on my limited experiments, I've started the seedlings by planting pieces of dried berry in soil filled plastic cups. The idea being, since Gojiberries are supposed to have anti-fungal properties and damp off is caused by fungus, then planting the seeds with a bit of berry material should help prevent damp off.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Mine still hasn't shown life this spring. I might try again.
foxd

Post by foxd »

Iowaboo wrote:Mine still hasn't shown life this spring. I might try again.
I have some Gojiberries left if you want some of them.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Ok, that sounds good, thanks. If you want some toona sinensis seed in exchange, let me know. I'll pm address.
foxd

Post by foxd »

Iowaboo wrote:

Ok, that sounds good, thanks. If you want some toona sinensis seed in exchange, let me know. I'll pm address.
Hmmm...Chinese Mahogany. Sounds like a good trade. Okay.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.