Plants this year.

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Plants this year.

Post by foxd »

So, aside from bamboo what are people growing this year?

For me this looks like it will be the year of Loofahs and Lupins. The deer don't seem to like the Loofas, but I am not sure about the Lupins.

We also are planting some China Boy and China Girl Holly, two varieties of passion flower, Quince, Purple Double Qween Datura, Early Girl Tomatoes, Cleopatra Cannas and if I can get them a male Hardy Kiwi and a Musa basjoo.

Surviving from last year I have Darmera peltata, Petasites japonicus, Gojiberry, Hardy Kiwi, Japanese Maples, Paw-Paw, Gingko, Witch Hazel, Prickly Pear Cactus, Horsetail Rush, Gopherbane, Blackberry Lily, Rattlesnake Master and an assortment of herbs.

The Garlic Chives seem to have been killed this past winter and I have seen no signs of life from the Hardy Chicago Fig.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
dudley
Location info: 44
zone 9a/b
right between too cold & not cold enough

Re: Plants this year.

Post by dudley »

a few tomato varieties, green peppers, always datil peppers.guavas
a couple peach trees and a crabapple.

lost alot of tropicals this winter but still have doni avocado, mayhaws, jaboticaba, mulberries, blueberries,various citrus, persimmons, pears, pineapples, dragon fruits, lychee, figs, plums
:bom:
"Plants are people just like us"
GrowingHabit
Location info: 0

Post by GrowingHabit »

As the bamboo gets taller, I end up with more shade, so I'm converting from sedums and hyssops to ferns, hosta, and hellebore over large areas this year. I have never tried them before, but so far, so good. I've spent years enriching nasty blasted compacted soil to get to this point. Finally seeing results.

This 'll be third year for my Paulownia tree, and I'm quietly hoping it blooms, but don't truly expect it to till next year. Too soon to know.

Put in a Black Lace? Black-something elderberry a month ago, and its taking off most satisfyingly. Beauty Berry is another new-to-me plant this year.

Blueberries and Jupiter's Beard and ornamental grasses. I'm trying to change from specimen-style (one of these, one of these...) landscaping, to swaths of same plant over large area style. Its taken years of division and potting up to get to that point, too.

Am trying to lay hands on Genkwa Daphne. Gave the only one I've ever seen away, against my wishes, and still regret it.
ocimum_nate
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

This year aside from some new Fargesia species I am going to plant out a Trifoliate orange my friend gave me and I am going to possibly plant one of my windmill palm seedling this year or I may wait and see how much it sizes up this year. I also have some hardy cacti that I think may be ready to leave outside. I have a bunch of tomatoes, peppers, basil, egg plant and some potatoes that I started from seed this year.... That's right I saved a bunch of seed from my potatoes last year it was a real fluke I haven't ever had potatoes set so much fruit but last year I had a bumper crop of cherry tomato sized fruit so I processed them as I usually do tomatoes and have started the seeds. It will be interesting to see what I end up with so far I have about 30 potato seedlings up and growing.
bamboozal

Post by bamboozal »

I just planted a japanese maple and an ornamental cherry tree over the weekend. I'm itching to get a Magnolia Grandiflora after realising the Magnolia I bought a couple of years ago isn't a grandiflora. Other than that, I've got a bunch of the usual vegetables growing in the veg bed and I'm trying to grow some herbs and veg (lettuce, basil, etc) hydroponically in my pond. I'm also trying out two grape varieties after being inspired by somebody who posted here once and has a vineyard in Canada!!
cheers,
Adrian.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

I stupidly bought another jujube this year, done buying those. They can't handle cold well enough, and graft seems to die out. Che and blue bean shrub seem like they survived the -21F we had, so happy about that. Fruit is the main theme of what I am trying, various other stuff, maybe will list some if have more time. :santa:
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

Bunches of gingers, irises, bromeliads, agaves, cannas, and alocasias. Trying purple sugar cane, a couple papayas, and some crinums. My wife has 16 tomato plants in the ground, and other various veggies and herbs.

I think that's about it for this springs plantings.
rickw
Location info: 84
Location: Theodore, AL, just south of I-10 and 1 mile from Mobile Bay, barely 8b

Post by rickw »

"Pink V" ginger and pink water canna for the pond edge and "The President" lotus, "Allmost Black and "Colorado" water lilies for the shallow parts of the pond. It's a 4.5 acre fish pond.

Also some Robert Kemp Canna from a virus free source.
Last edited by rickw on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Iowaboo wrote:I stupidly bought another jujube this year, done buying those. They can't handle cold well enough, and graft seems to die out. Che and blue bean shrub seem like they survived the -21F we had, so happy about that. Fruit is the main theme of what I am trying, various other stuff, maybe will list some if have more time. :santa:
Lance, what are the jujube & the che/blue?

BTW - I noticed this spring that my Sasaella ramosa - the legendary vagabond - that had been well behaved for the first 4-5 years is now attempting to cover an area about 20'x10' so maybe yours is about to explode as well. I've kept it mowed back but now see it at the garden fence despite the mowing. Is yours moving around yet?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

needmore wrote:
Iowaboo wrote:I stupidly bought another jujube this year, done buying those. They can't handle cold well enough, and graft seems to die out. Che and blue bean shrub seem like they survived the -21F we had, so happy about that. Fruit is the main theme of what I am trying, various other stuff, maybe will list some if have more time. :santa:
Lance, what are the jujube & the che/blue?

BTW - I noticed this spring that my Sasaella ramosa - the legendary vagabond - that had been well behaved for the first 4-5 years is now attempting to cover an area about 20'x10' so maybe yours is about to explode as well. I've kept it mowed back but now see it at the garden fence despite the mowing. Is yours moving around yet?
Ramosa seems like a clumper so far, but looks can be deceiving. The small species just seem like they have even less vigor. Seems like phyllostachys spread best in this climate.

Jujube, che, and blue bean shrub are unusual fruits being grown in America, slowly gaining more interest, well except for the blue bean shrub, it'll never be much more than novelty.

here is example of what should look like
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

list of new plants I'm trying this year

Liberty Apple
Aronia Nero
Jujube TVA
Persimmon 'rosseyanka
Persimmon 'pipher'
Prospector hybrid elm
Valley forge elm
New harmony elm
Nanjing hybrid cypress
Decidious Holly
Water Tupelo
Witch Hazel
Red Pine
Buartblack walnut
cathay quince
Lemony quince
puget balsam root
jinenjo
purple potato
raisin tree
oriental white oak
Rubinette Apple
Bella di guigno pear
orus jostaberry
berry blue honeyberry
silver berry
chinese hawthorn
evans cherry
Wells pawpaw
cox orange pippen apple
Winter banana apple
Hudson's golden gem apple
invicta gooseberry
sweet scarlet goumi
purple robe locust
oregon white oak
bigleaf maple
red alder
Paulownia catalpifolia
Manchurian Walnut
Chinese hazel
Chinese Hickory
populus androscoggin
populus prairie sky
Juniperus ‘Moonglow’
speckled alder
sir william cottonwood
russian olive
northrop mulberry
cherry prinsepia
joy bush cherry
joel bush cherry
drippin' honey pear
belle of georgia peach
carmine jewel cherry
honeycrisp apple
trugold peach
nova spy apple
seckel pear
prime jan blackberry
balaton cherry
bountiful butternut
moonglow pear
Betula alleghaniensis 
Betula ermani    
Castanea pumila  
Ligustrum 'ARN'  
Magnolia biondii 
Magnolia denudata 
Magnolia salicifolia   
Oxydendrum arboreum
Phellodendron lavallei 
Quercus aliena
Pinus bungeana    
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

Iowaboo, you must have a lot of room to grow that much stuff. I have a decent amount of growing space too. My new additions this year will be

Kudzu- grown at the bottom of a large tree.

trumpet lilies- supposed to get to 6-8feet tall.

cardiocrinum-gets 15feet tall, blooms every 7 years.

canna

multiple poppy varieties- ranging 1-4 feet tall depending on species.

tobacco- for appearance, not personal use

watermelons

sunflowers

I'm planning on moving my japanese knotweed to a sunnier location because it's growth is getting stunted to around 6feet by a nearby tree.
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

Iowaboo, is the Witch Hazel the type that blooms in the Spring of the type that blooms in the Fall?

Last year we bought one that was supposed to bloom in the Fall, but it bloomed ths Spring. :x
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Sounds like spring flowering

Hamamelis vernalis -
Flowers
yellow, ribbon-like flowers; flowers January to April

Haven't got them yet, that is one of my last orders to come this spring. I get various cheap trees from Missouri state nursery.
shuboo

Post by shuboo »

Lots and lots of alocasias, colocasias, black ginger, banana divisions.
Attachments
A. macrorrhiza 'Borneo giant"
A. macrorrhiza 'Borneo giant"
290607%20Huge%20Borneo%20Giant.jpg (52.69 KiB) Viewed 10225 times
-shu