Passiflora

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Passiflora

Post by Alan_L »

I forgot to add: none of my fruit are shiny like that -- they're all quite dull. Strange.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

No ripe fruit yet.

I did trade for a white passion flower vine which I have potted up for the Winter.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Arkansas
Location info: 0

Post by Arkansas »

@foxd - shipped you these 2 plants today. Nice experiment. Let us see some pics next summer :)
Attachments
020.JPG
foxd

Post by foxd »

Arkansas wrote:@foxd - shipped you these 2 plants today. Nice experiment. Let us see some pics next summer :)
Okay, they will go in pots as soon as I get them. I actually have room for them under the grow lights this Winter. BTW, if anyone wants some Hardy Orange Flying Dragon seedlings I have a few spares. :D
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Arkansas

Post by Arkansas »

Shipped plants are potted. Just can't tell it from pic. They are sprouts potted 2 months ago, so should be good til Spring.
foxd

Post by foxd »

Arkansas wrote:Shipped plants are potted. Just can't tell it from pic. They are sprouts potted 2 months ago, so should be good til Spring.
I got them yesterday. They looked a bit wilted so I watered them to see if they perk up. I think they will.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

foxd wrote:
Arkansas wrote:Shipped plants are potted. Just can't tell it from pic. They are sprouts potted 2 months ago, so should be good til Spring.
I got them yesterday. They looked a bit wilted so I watered them to see if they perk up. I think they will.
An update:
The two plants have been planted outside and look like they have settled in to their new home.

Several years ago I tried to grow Passiflora lutea, since it would survive our climate. I bought some seeds from Ebay, which after much care turned out to be P. subrosa, which would not survive here. I then found a contact who acquired some from a botanical garden, which never germinated. I gave up at this point. In the past couple of weeks I noticed a couple of sprouts that look suspiciously P. lutea like. Of course the pot had been re-used...
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Which is the hardiest species you think might be worth a try here in NS?
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
foxd

Post by foxd »

johnw wrote:Which is the hardiest species you think might be worth a try here in NS?
The two hardiest species are Passiflora lutea and Passiflora incarnata. The prettiest is incarnata.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Thanks!
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
foxd

Post by foxd »

Years ago I attempted to start Passiflora lutea from seed. I first had some buy me some from Ebay (I don't have an account.), which after a year of growth turned out to be Passiflora subrosa. Next I found someone on Facebook who harvested some from a botanical garden, which never sprouted. I gave up at that point, but noticed some plants coming up in a pot with a Surinam Cherry. Since the plants did not look like the typical weeds I have sprout in pots I let them grow to see what they were. I am now convinced they are a Passiflora of some type and am keeping my fingers crossed they are P. lutea.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

You don't think they're P. incarnata? Those things come up everywhere here (now, thanks to you), even some small ones which I suspect are seedlings. :)
foxd

Post by foxd »

Alan_L wrote:You don't think they're P. incarnata? Those things come up everywhere here (now, thanks to you), even some small ones which I suspect are seedlings. :)
Not likely to be P. incarnata, leaves don't look right for one thing. Even P. subrosa is an outside chance depending on where I reused potting mix or not. I'm betting on the P. lutea.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.