Edible perennials?

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: Edible perennials?

Post by stevelau1911 »

I find that garlic can get a lot bigger and spicier when you grow them by yourself because of choice over species, and fertilize them with real fertilizer, not the commercial NPK that is aimed solely for production.

I got an order of 3 stevia plants that were just potted up with 1 going in the ground. I'll be interested to see how this actually tastes, and I'm hoping they can grow enough to turn into a few pounds of dried powder.

They don't look that great because they were just planted, but should green up and thrive like the comfrey in a few days.

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

They pretty much taste like aspartame to me...
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

stevelau1911 wrote:...I'll be interested to see how this actually tastes...
I never buy any herb without tasting a little part of one of the leaves first. Some herbs are remarkably variable in flavor -- one plant is much more tasty than the one next to it. If they were mail order then I certainly wouldn't have been able to resist tasting it as soon as I got them. :)
benboo

Post by benboo »

I just started growing Gynostemma pentaphyllum from seed and only have small plants. I want to know how they taste, but they are soooo small and I do not want to kill them. But I tried them anyways...

That is very true though. some herbs growing next to eachother can taste quite different. I think my oregano was variable like this.
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

benboo wrote:I just started growing Gynostemma pentaphyllum from seed and only have small plants. I want to know how they taste, but they are soooo small and I do not want to kill them. But I tried them anyways...
They grow quite quickly so there is not much of a wait to try them. They have have a bit of a "mediciney" aftertaste to me, but they are supposed to be incredibly healthy to consume. From what I've read there are male and female plants, but mine have never bloomed to tell what I have. :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
benboo

Post by benboo »

I planted some outside and now they have foot long vines whipping around. How large can gynostemma get in one season?
foxd

Post by foxd »

benboo wrote:I planted some outside and now they have foot long vines whipping around. How large can gynostemma get in one season?
I gather they will just keep growing if they can find a place to root regularly. I haven't had the courage to test how cold hardy they are, but will probably plant out some this year.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
benboo

Post by benboo »

I am taking cuttings later in the year for sure! They should be able to overwinter, but there is not too much evidence on the internet.
foxd

Post by foxd »

benboo wrote:I am taking cuttings later in the year for sure! They should be able to overwinter, but there is not too much evidence on the internet.
Just drape the vine into a pot and let it root. Wherever the vine touches the soil it roots.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

Here are a few of the vegetables.

Tomatoes

Wintermelon

Fuzzy gourd, an elongated form of watermelon which grows better on trellises

Canteloupe, just starting to produce now

Walking (Egyptian) Onions

Luffa, Longest vine is nearly 20ft now, speeding up after a good leaf thinning, and closing in on the edge of the trellis. The earliest fruits should flower in the next few days. They are certainly big enough to start producing.

Nice big blueberries ready to pick. I can't keep up with their production this year, but the robins are happy to live in there.

3 inch diameter German Red garlics. If I get lucky, some of the species that are still growing in the ground may approach 4 inches. These are true garlics too, not the elephant garlic.

Cloves are well over 1 inch long