New USDA Hardiness map

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

mantis
Location info: 22

New USDA Hardiness map

Post by mantis »

Haven't seen this posted yet.

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/
bamboothew
Location info: 0

Re: New USDA Hardiness map

Post by bamboothew »

I'm too polite to rant :twisted:
Gardeners in upstate SC would probably be better served to use the old map :)
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Mantis it took me a few minutes to figure out what thei usda site is all about. I t is the future repesentation after a few years of global warming. I only know my own backyard intamentaly enough to have an opinion but with it they are way off. Most of my county is 9a with the next largest being 8b with Port O'connor being the only part of the county coming close to 9b.They seem to have really screwed it up this time.
MarCat
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

I think the problem may be that the map is stated to be based on "average minimum temps"--if I'm not mistaken the old map was based on either 20 or 30 year absolute minimums, isn't that right? Anyway, if out of 30 years an area's low for 15 of those years is around 20f but the other 15 years the low is 5f, it seems to me the zone should 7, even though the average low would be zone 8. After all, those 5 degree years will kill plants that are only hardy to 15f no matter what the average low is. Plants don't care about average lows :)

That map shows my area as zone 8 but we get single digit cold several times a decade. North of me to the state line is mountainous with single digits every winter and it is shown in zone 8. Marcat is right--seems like they really messed it up :drunken:
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Yes, The map shows me correctly in 7a, yet if we have a sub-zero event every decade or so, it affects bamboo growers (and a lot of shrubs and trees). In landscape land, I usually sell zone 6 plants or hardier, as I am expected to warranty them for at least a year.