First attempt to root blueberry cuttings indoors

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

First attempt to root blueberry cuttings indoors

Post by stevelau1911 »

I have been able to root softwood cuttings before which already had leaves over the summer when the conditions are right, but since my plants have plenty of branches by now, I'm trying them indoors and one thing I'm finding out is that the ones with flower buds tend to fail easily once the flowers get close to opening up as it probably uses up too much energy. The blueberry seeds I planted 6 weeks ago are not coming up at all so they probably don't have viability.

One of my cups has 2 cuttings that have already developed their own leaves and have likely started the rooting process and these happened to not have a single flower bud on them so I think I need to choose the cuttings with only branch buds. They also tend to rot easily when cuttings are taken over the winter since the sunlight is so much weaker, but these should be pretty established cuttings in a couple months when they go outside.
marcat
Location info: 28

Re: First attempt to root blueberry cuttings indoors

Post by marcat »

Are you saying you used dormant wood/branches for cuttings?
Am very interested as I have one plant that is very hardy for me and would like to reproduce it as all others I have tried couldn't take my summer heat.
MarCat
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: First attempt to root blueberry cuttings indoors

Post by stevelau1911 »

Yep. I believe these are already rooting after a month since there is already a rise in leaf production which usually indicates that these cuttings are starting to produce their own energy and these were completely dormant cuttings. Too bad all my attempt with bamboo branch cuttings never worked no matter what stage they were in.

During the summer time I usually keep the cuttings under partial shade so they avoid most intense sun. The clear plastic is to keep them humid so cuttings don't get dehydrated by the sun. I will also use juicy roots to help stimulate the rooting process which usually takes around a month to begin. I believe the best cuttings to take for consistent results are around 6 inches long softwood cuttings with leaf growth that is completed, and the stem is firm, usually around late June, but it looks like hardwood cuttings work too.