BAMBOOWEB.INFO
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Weird Weed
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:58 pm 

Location: Zone 5b/6a Bloomington, INElevation: 770-790 feet Location Details
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
I have had this weed growing in a pot with the remains of a pineapple plant. It has been slow growing and I keep looking at trying to figure out what it is. Any ideas anyone?

Attachments:
weirdweed.jpg
weirdweed.jpg [ 65.13 KiB | Viewed 5053 times ]

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.

Post subject: Re: Weird Weed
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:45 am 

Maybe a fern of some kind?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:36 pm 

JWH wrote:
Maybe a fern of some kind?

That was my thought when it first showed up, but there is now a stem and the leaves don't quite look "ferny" to me.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:19 pm 

Apple pine.

Are these leaves part of one leaf or are they growing one by one? I've seen similar fern-like thingie, but it seems it has long stem. Wait and see, I guess.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:45 pm 

Tarzanus wrote:
Apple pine.

Are these leaves part of one leaf or are they growing one by one? I've seen similar fern-like thingie, but it seems it has long stem. Wait and see, I guess.

Some of the leaves are fused together, some are not. I'm trying to decide if I should move it to a new pot and give it more light in case it turns out to be something I want. :?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:35 pm 

I've now moved it to a small pot and am giving it more light. It it now putting up a new shoot which is unrolling in a fernlike manner.

There is a fern that is native to Ohio that grows like a vine. Weird!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:54 pm 

I'm tenatively identifying it as some sort of Lygodium. Not sure if it is an import or the native one though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:06 pm 

Definitely a fern of some type. I will try and post a picture since it looks a whole lot different now. Meanwhile, several other things have sprouted in the pot, a shoot off the Pineapple and what I suspect if a Cypress Vine..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:05 am 

Finally got around to taking some pictures or it. Does anybody recognize this fern?

Attachment:
fern1.jpg
fern1.jpg [ 114.93 KiB | Viewed 4906 times ]

Close-up picture of one of the fronds.

Attachment:
Fern2.jpg
Fern2.jpg [ 74.34 KiB | Viewed 4906 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:22 pm 

Wow, doesn't really look like fern. Perhaps fern that is a couple of millions age old. Photo from bit more distant position might be in place.
Are you sure it's fern? Does it unfold each "leaf" the way other ferns do it? At least around here, I haven't seen anything quite like it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:09 pm 

Tarzanus wrote:
Wow, doesn't really look like fern. Perhaps fern that is a couple of millions age old. Photo from bit more distant position might be in place.
Are you sure it's fern? Does it unfold each "leaf" the way other ferns do it? At least around here, I haven't seen anything quite like it.

Yes, the fronds unfurl like other ferns do. Some of the fronds have a brown border which I am pretty sure are sporangia.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:56 am 

Could it be Asplenium rhizophyllum -Walking fern. I'm not sure about it's weird appearance with small and not really symmetric fronds. It does seem it's one of Asplenium ferns tho.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:14 pm 

It doesn't match the description of Asplenium rhizophyllum. I'm thinking it might be some species of Lygodium.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:21 pm 

I think I have a possible ID on the fern: Lygodium articulatum. I'm not 100% sure, but the "leaf" shape is right.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:03 pm 

I'm still researching this from time to time. Fronds are getting longer and it looks like it is starting to change the leaf shape. This combined with what appears to be a lot of mis-identification of the various Lygodium species on websites is making things difficult. I'm hoping it turns out to be the native species rather than one of the invasive ones.