Weird Weed

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Weird Weed

Post by foxd »

I was noticing yesterday that a citrus tree next to the fern has a dusting of spores on its leaves from the mystery fern. Still no ID on the the fern.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
foxd

Post by foxd »

We went to see the blooming of the Corpse Flower at the university greenhouse today. While we were there we passed by some pots of pineapple plants and I noticed one of these ferns had sprouted in the pot. Considering I'd first noticed this fern in a pot growing a pineapple, it would seem a very high probability that this fern grows where pineapples are grown. So far the only fern I've found associated with pineapples is the Tree Fern which it is obviously not that. :shock: (Still boggling at the concept of a tree fern.)
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

I asked Iain at Fernwood Plant Nursery here and he emailed back this:

"I think your friend's mystery fern could be a Ribbon Fern (Pteris spp). They are pan-tropical, often sold in grocery stores as houseplants, and quite weedy so it wouldn’t surprise me at all to see them self-sowing in any nook or cranny that stays moist - like a pineapple in the produce section that probably has a misting system - perfect. Tree ferns with their scaly bark often play host to ferns for the same reason."

john
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
foxd

Post by foxd »

I think you are probably right on this. I'd pretty much given up on identifying it until now.
johnw wrote:I asked Iain at Fernwood Plant Nursery here and he emailed back this:

"I think your friend's mystery fern could be a Ribbon Fern (Pteris spp). They are pan-tropical, often sold in grocery stores as houseplants, and quite weedy so it wouldn’t surprise me at all to see them self-sowing in any nook or cranny that stays moist - like a pineapple in the produce section that probably has a misting system - perfect. Tree ferns with their scaly bark often play host to ferns for the same reason."

john
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.