Questionable plants that over-wintered

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Questionable plants that over-wintered

Post by stevelau1911 »

One plant that I thought was dead for sure was the pomegrante which is listed for zone 6. It died all the way back to perhaps the bottom 6 inches, but it's definitely coming back, likely stronger this year. I also doubt it will get hit with this tough of a winter again.

It looks like the main corm on the gunnera died off, but there is a side branch growing off which will likely make a full recovery. I will need to add some slug pellets to give it a chance to grow.

I wasn't sure if the ginseng would come back, but here's my largest one. At close to 8 inches tall, I would have expected it to turn into a 4 prong, but as long as I keep the soil loose, they should thrive.

I never knew carrots would over-winter here especially when they stick out of the ground through winter, but I guess the carrot can keep growing almost indefinitely until it is triggered to flower.

This is a woodland peony that I got form a neighbor 2 years ago, and I'm kind of surprised that the seedlings would finally sprout. They are clearly different than the tree peony seedlings I'm accustomed to seeing.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Questionable plants that over-wintered

Post by Alan_L »

Carrots are biennials, so flower their second year. The roots are quite cold-hardy. :)