Mayhaw, disease?

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

bigone5500

Mayhaw, disease?

Post by bigone5500 »

I think these have a disease but don't know what it could be. Does anyone know what this is and how to treat it? The small 'hairs' that are on the diseased part leave a bright orange powdery substance when touched.

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: Mayhaw, disease?

Post by stevelau1911 »

I've never grown mayhaws, but couldn't an exceptionally cold winter weaken a lot of plants making them more susceptible to fungi and pests?

It looks like some type of fungus so it may require some kind of fungicide to wipe out if it is ruining the tree. I think the best thing to do is to remove the affected areas and spray them.

I've found this to be the only year that my pear trees have gotten the blister mites really bad which forced me to pull out a lot of branches and spray the rest of the foliage with pesticide.
bigone5500

Post by bigone5500 »

I did a bit more research and found this to be what is known as Cedar Apple Rust. I am currently unsure how to go about treating these trees. I have two small mayhaws and would hate to see them not be more productive. I say productive but I suppose I would like to be able to harvest all of the crop. 90% or so had to be discarded. From what I have read, you have to treat them in the dormant season and in the spring.
bigone5500

Post by bigone5500 »

stevelau1911 wrote:I've never grown mayhaws, but couldn't an exceptionally cold winter weaken a lot of plants making them more susceptible to fungi and pests?

It looks like some type of fungus so it may require some kind of fungicide to wipe out if it is ruining the tree. I think the best thing to do is to remove the affected areas and spray them.

I've found this to be the only year that my pear trees have gotten the blister mites really bad which forced me to pull out a lot of branches and spray the rest of the foliage with pesticide.
Steve, from what I understand, folks in the north call them crabapples...I guess they are the same thing.
dependable
Location info: 0

Post by dependable »

Cedar apple rust is a problem here. With apples, there are some resistant varieties. Otherwise, I hear one sprays with fungicide, but may be recurrent battle if there are cedars within a few miles.

The fungus has a two part life cycle, also infecting red cedars (Juniperus virginiana), causing them to have hard brown nodules in the branches. In the spring for a short time, these turn into alien looking globs with tentacles, sending new spores around. Does not seem to kill either species of tree, but sets the apples back more and ruins the fruit.