Spring in Comox BC

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Van-isle-bamboo
Location info: 0

Spring in Comox BC

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

What a great time to take pics in the yard here in Comox BC. Just thought I could showcase some of my favorites.

Cardiocrinum giganteum
P. Meyeri just starting to pop up
Schefflera delavayi and their giant leavesImage
A couple Schefflera Taiwanianna
Fatsia camouflage
A couple tree fern pics.
syneilesis aconitifolia
Some random shots

And I'll finish off with a few Podophyllums

johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Re: Spring in Comox BC

Post by johnw »

Van-isle

Some wild and wicked plants there. Where do you snag big tree ferns like that?

Cardiocrinums just surfacing here with the lily beetles. See you got the rhodo bug too. Did I spy a hodgsonii?

Is that Podophyllum Spotty Dotty & Kaleidoscope together? We can't keep the latter alive. BTW all the P. difformes are about to flower so will try crossing them to get seed. It's even crankier than 'Kaleidoscope'.

john
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Van-isle-bamboo

John, thanks for the comment " wild and wicked plants" because that's what I really like to do is collect the different stuff.

The Podophyllum you are talking about is actually spotty dotty. I got it at the alpine show. I planted it and then up popped the smaller lead to the side. I do agree that it sure does look like kaleidoscope tho hey. Maybe it's some strange cross then :D I picked up difforms last month but it's to small to plant out yet. I'm gonna definitely be bugging you for your new crosses so be prepared :lol:

The big tree ferns are from Fraser thimble on SSI and another Nursary called green thumb. Dicksonia Antarctica, Dicksonia fibrosa, cyathea australis and blechum gibbum. I didn't cross paths with the medullaris yet but I'm still looking for you k.

Thanks for looking

Oh yeah and yes I definitely got bit by the rhodo bug hahahah. Some of the ones pictured above were basilicum, calophytum, kesangiae, pacific sunset, point defiance. I do have hodgsonii as well but it's behind the cardiocriunum and not to visible. I would say I have at least 40+ now and counting. Great plant with some awesome foliage on some too.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

These two are hard to tell apart sometimes. Your old leaf looks like 'Spotty Dotty' but the new one like 'Kaleidoscope', we never get black markings on SD. Here is our P. 'Spotty Dotty'. If pressed I'd say you got 'Kaleidoscope' but I wouldn't bet the house on it!

john
Attachments
Podophyllum 'Spotty Dotty' Halifax-20150514-05075.jpg
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Van-isle-bamboo

John how cool to think that they both are from the same root and they look so different. I picked it up at the alpine show labeled 'spotty dotty'. The black markings are suspicious tho. It's actually really exciting. I have been bitten by the Podophyllum bug for sure.