Fargesia dracocephala name change?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Fargesia dracocephala name change?

Post by johnw »

It would appear the name F. dracocephala may disappear rather soon.

This link was posted on the EBS forum today.

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... 2F&act=url

Fargesia decurvata is the new name.

Two weeks ago Thamnocalamus tessellatus disappeared.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
canadianplant

Re: Fargesia dracocephala name change?

Post by canadianplant »

But then, isnt Fargesia rufa (Fargesia sp. "Rufa"), going to change too? I believe I read many papers stating rufa =/= dracocephala?
johnw

Post by johnw »

cp

It isn't F. sp. 'Rufa' but F. dracocephala 'Rufa'. I presume it will now be either simply F. decurvata or F. decurvata 'Rufa' if they think it's distinct enough from type decurvata. Then what will 'Rufa' 'Vaalkenswaard' become? F. decurvata 'Vaalkenswaard'?
dependable

Post by dependable »

Wasn't the original dracocephala changed to apubens or something? My original 'dragon's head' I bought around 10 years ago has finally made 6 ft. So there never was a dragon's head bamboo, too bad, cool name.
johnw

Post by johnw »

dp - What was collected as seed in the late 80's as dracocephala on the Daba Shan turned out to be F. apicirubens so the name changed.

Now more news on 'Rufa', Streffen Greiner near Heidelberg says that the name decruvata was published 4 years before the name dracocephala, normally decurvata would therefore take precedence. However any official publication must be peer-reviewed, it may be that the earlier the decurvata article was not peer-reviewed in China so it would lose its validity . He says it could be we will be back to F.dracocephala or maybe even F. rufa (both of these names were published and peer-reviewed the same year) for what was F. dracocephala 'Rufa'. F. decurvata could be lumped into one of the preceding. Stay tuned.

Speaking of which we had coffeee in a sidewalk café courtyard here yesterday and there it was by whatever name. Looking good after the winter as opposed to those outside the city. Hardiness circa 0F / -17c.

Tomorrow we go out to see the tallest 'Rufa'.
Attachments
Fargesia dracocephala 'Rufa' @ Julian's IMG-20140711-02598.jpg