BAMBOOWEB.INFO
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:43 pm 

In the past I have posted how I divide large running bamboo divisions with pallet forks and a sawzall. Today I tried another technique, using a chain trencher attachment I got, mainly to install bamboo barrier, dig utilities, and trenches for driveway edging.

Decided to try the trencher dividing some P Bissettii I had to move. It worked great, separated and removed 6 pallet sized divisions in about a half an hour.

Attachments:
IMG_2567.JPG
IMG_2567.JPG [ 345.73 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]
IMG_2566.JPG
IMG_2566.JPG [ 361.5 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]
IMG_2563.JPG
IMG_2563.JPG [ 311.46 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:36 pm 

Awesome! There's a company that makes a handheld version of this sort of tool, and I often wondered how good it would be for rhizome pruning. Price is too high for me to find out. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:08 pm 

Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
That is what I would use to put in bamboo barrier if the run was long enough. When I looked into it in my area in Indiana they were charging around .75 per linear foot with a reasonable minimum. The cost seemed fine.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:48 pm 

Not sure how a handheld one would work. There is a lot of force exerted, this unit has a 37 HP diesel, 14GPM hydraulics.

Renting or hiring would be the way to go for most people, the new machine and attachment cost almost $40K. It is amazing to me what you can rent, in some places. I think the chain trencher would be a good alternative to excavator for grove removal, that and the fork machine would take less of the soil/subsoil away.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:01 pm 

Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21 Location Details
That's a great looking machine, but way beyond my budget to purchase. Renting would be the way to go.

I tried the handheld chain trencher but it was unable to cut even medium sized rhizomes. The first one broke the drive mechanism on a 1" viridis rhizome. The company replaced it with a more durable model but it also broke. They seemed to cut tree roots just fine.

This is a young, strong person's machine. Even using the trencher with the optional cart was like being in a rodeo. I hurt for days after using these machines.

P.S. The company has great customer service, and in certain situations I can see how this would be the machine to use.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:15 pm 

David wrote:
...I tried the handheld chain trencher but it was unable to cut even medium sized rhizomes...
Good info David! Now I don't have to wonder anymore. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:13 pm 

David wrote:
That's a great looking machine, but way beyond my budget to purchase. Renting would be the way to go.

Yeah, the only reason I can buy these things is because it is my full time job. We use the tractor mainly for doing high end work in yards too small, or too fancy, to use a larger, heavier machine. We have stump grinder, rototiller, augers, log grapple, more attachments to come. Cost 4 times what we just paid for "new" family car.

Good labor is very hard to get here due to housing market. Some companies have large crews of undocumenteds living in garages, etc, I chose to go with a small, loyal, well paid and mechanized local local crew.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:03 pm 

dependable wrote:
... a small, loyal, well paid and mechanized local local crew.
Robots! :wink:
Seriously, I like your approach!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:09 pm 

Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific 35 miles S. of San Jose
Electric jackhammers may work as well. Not sure if it's a cheaper option, however. Rgds