Does a collection become a obsession

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

dependable
Location info: 0

Re: Does a collection become a obsession

Post by dependable »

Deane wrote: “very interesting upright growing bamboo that looks like Sem. fastuosa but it is much more graceful, a very interesting new bamboo” which Fargesia denudata would you recommend
Not sure what denudata I have, when I bought it years ago, it was just listed F denudata.

On the subject Semi-Arundinaria, by the way, I'd recommend yashadake 'Kimmei'. I also have fastuosa, and it looked great for a while, but then tended toward getting a clogged up look, and the culms are dense, but strong enough to take some effort to cut manually, so it is a pain to keep thinned. Then, it wanders around like japonica. Of course the fact it got top killed a couple times did not help appearance much. Going to dig out most of my main stand soon and plant some hop vines there. I have another stand of it in the partial shade that is much more well behaved.
Attachments
F dunudata, not a great picture, but looking pretty good for near the end of winter.  This plant is 8ft tall at tallest, around 5 ft wide.
F dunudata, not a great picture, but looking pretty good for near the end of winter. This plant is 8ft tall at tallest, around 5 ft wide.
Deane

Post by Deane »

dependable wrote:
Deane wrote: “very interesting upright growing bamboo that looks like Sem. fastuosa but it is much more graceful, a very interesting new bamboo” which Fargesia denudata would you recommend
Not sure what denudata I have, when I bought it years ago, it was just listed F denudata.

On the subject Semi-Arundinaria, by the way, I'd recommend yashadake 'Kimmei'. I also have fastuosa, and it looked great for a while, but then tended toward getting a clogged up look, and the culms are dense, but strong enough to take some effort to cut manually, so it is a pain to keep thinned. Then, it wanders around like japonica. Of course the fact it got top killed a couple times did not help appearance much. Going to dig out most of my main stand soon and plant some hop vines there. I have another stand of it in the partial shade that is much more well behaved.
most probably the original denudata then,I think the sub species are quite new from what I have read by Jos at Kimmei , I have sem.yashdake ‘Kimmei ‘ and fastuosa and your so right my yashadake is a great bamboo but like you say so dense and hard to thin out , hop vines do you make your own beer then ?
dependable

Post by dependable »

Deane wrote:
dependable wrote: hop vines do you make your own beer then ?
Check out my post on "off topic' this forum about beer making, third from top in that section right now.
UPBooMatt

Post by UPBooMatt »

Deane. I figured this would be as good a place as any to ask if you have any pictures of your Ch. quadrangularis 'suow.' I've just ordered one (along with a Pl. Distichus) since I've always thought it looks and sounds like a really neat boo, and one that can work over-wintering indoors with proper care.

There's not a lot of pics to be found of it in the gallery, but we bamboo nuts are always looking for an excuse to take or share pictures, right? I'd really be interested in some of shoots and nodes if your plant it accessible enough or you have them. Many thanks, Matt.
Deane

Post by Deane »

UPBooMatt wrote:Deane. I figured this would be as good a place as any to ask if you have any pictures of your Ch. quadrangularis 'suow.' I've just ordered one (along with a Pl. Distichus) since I've always thought it looks and sounds like a really neat boo, and one that can work over-wintering indoors with proper care.

There's not a lot of pics to be found of it in the gallery, but we bamboo nuts are always looking for an excuse to take or share pictures, right? I'd really be interested in some of shoots and nodes if your plant it accessible enough or you have them. Many thanks, Matt.
Took these today for you Matt hope there ok
Attachments
46CB530E-2EE3-4787-8402-AC85B2A328D8.jpeg
4692F447-B797-4E1E-AC18-922F4D258079.jpeg
UPBooMatt

Post by UPBooMatt »

Very nice, I like it! Thank you very much. Couple questions, does yours exibit the very upright growth habit it seems to be known for? Any other interesting things to note about it compared to you're other boos at all?
Deane

Post by Deane »

UPBooMatt wrote:Very nice, I like it! Thank you very much. Couple questions, does yours exibit the very upright growth habit it seems to be known for? Any other interesting things to note about it compared to you're other boos at all?
yes very upright growth and likes to run but over all a great bamboo and one I am glad to have in my collection
Rufledt

Post by Rufledt »

If I had as much space as some of you people I would definitely go nuts collecting tons of species. As it is my new climate limits me to the hardiest fsrgesias and phyllostachys, and root hardy ground cover plants. I can overwinter pots in a garage that I keep above freezing, but moving big pots around will limit my plant numbers. Then again there are lots of really nice fargesias and spots to put them in my yard...

Ok I might be "collecting" too many of those before I'm done.