BAMBOOWEB.INFO
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:10 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:28 am 

Hello, this is my first post here. I’m very glad to have found this forum. It’s the first forum I’ve joined in about 10 years! Everyone seems to have gone to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Anyway the reason I’m here is because I recently bought my first bamboo plant after wanting some for years, literally years! Was very excited to get a lovely pot of healthy (I think) Phyllostachys Nigra at a good price. I’ve had it about a month and it’s doing well.
Then recently I saw some on a property that faces onto the road. I’ve been aware of this planting for several years. A few weeks ago in noticed it is in flower! I’ve read that this is a rare occurrence but when it flowers it happens worldwide and the plant dies afterwards.
So my questions are, are everyone’s Phyllostachys Nigra in flower now, and is my newly bought pride and joy now going to curl up it’s toes and die on me? It doesn’t seem to be in flower yet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:40 am 

All my Phyllostachys Nigra did this year was grow vigorously. That being said it's hibernating right now so won't know until next year I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:28 pm 

My P. nigra is showing no sign of flowering.

First, I noticed you are in Australia, where some of the tropical giant black bamboos are more easily available than here in North America. If you purchased the bamboo only by common name, the 3 most common species of black bamboo are Phyllostachys nigra, or did you possibly receive Bambusa lako 'Timor Black' or Gigantochloa atroviolacea 'Tropical Black Bamboo'. If you got one of the other possible species, you might have one of them. Phyllostachys are noted for the parent exhausting itself at flowering and dying off after flowering. Not all genera of bamboo, or even all species of Phyllostachys die after flowering. But many do die.

It is possible, that a severely stress plant can respond by flowering. This is unlikely, but not completely unheard of. Usually if stressed enough to induce flowering, the plant dies before the flowering happens. But if the plant was stressed, but then saved in the "nick of time", the stressed plant can flower. Contact the vendor, see if you can return the plant for one that is showing no sign of flowering.

Exposure to certain herbicides can cause congested growth that looks similar to flowering, at least at passing examination. I had some Phyllostachys viridis 'Robert Young' that received overspray herbicide. For 2 years growth was abnormal, but then the 3rd year the plant began producing normal full size culm with no evidence of pesticide damage.

One additional thought, if the bamboo you received was being grown by a wholesale potted plant nursery, there is a possible accident that could have happened at the nursery. It is becoming more and more common that commercial wholesale nurseries are treating their potted plants with various plant growth regulating hormones. Some of the PGRs will cause short internodes, and congested growth to keep plants dwarf. Some of the PGRs are designed to induce flowering on plants normally too small and young to flower. There is no reason to have sprayed the bamboo deliberately, but there is the outside chance that the nursery had an "accident" with spraying. This is sheer speculation on my part. If you got this bamboo from a private or small retail nursery, it is unlikely that this actually happened. So do not assume this is the cause.