Fargesia sp. jiuzhaigou 'Genf'

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

philinshelton
Location info: 0

Fargesia sp. jiuzhaigou 'Genf'

Post by philinshelton »

I was looking at various links on the ABS auction for this plant. According to the aritcle by Jos van der Palen in the SCB chapter newsletter, the various jiuzhaigou forms were originally thought to be nitida seedlings. He goes on to write that rearch indicates they are closely related to nitida, but are probably a new, undescribed species. The ABS species list groups the seedlings together under the name "Fargesia nitida 'Jiuzhaigou'. Anyone out there have any information to clariify? Nitida or not? Also, does the 'Genf' have the red culms that other jiuzhaigou forms have?
Markj

RE: Fargesia sp. jiuzhaigou 'Genf'

Post by Markj »

I've always read that the seedlings were from Fargesia nitida, plants flowering with our cultivated forms. It's a pretty big question to try and sort these seedlings out, there is massive variability :?

Here's a poor pic, taken at here, last spring.

This one seems to be multi-coloured, the new culms are green, then turned red by the sun, with older culms turing a dull faded green/ orangery.

The red tint dose not last as long as Juz- #1, but there's little leaf curl in full sun here.
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
CadyG
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Post by CadyG »

New England Bamboo Co., also a quarantine station, had it labeled as a F. nitida. It seems to be a unique mutation.
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo
CadyG
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Post by CadyG »

I goofed. They list in their 2006 catalogue as Fargesia Jiuzhaigou - a distinct species. When I saw it at the nursery, it was next to the F. nitida and F. rufa. It's a striking plant, with all the new culms bathed in a beautiful rich red. I wish it were more readily available, but the folks there said they need to use their existing stock to propagate.

It probably will be expensive for a while to come thanks to the scarcity.
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

Bamboo Garden has some really nice Juizhaigou available and I am glad I have it. 8)