If you were on the radio what would you talk about?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

If you were on the radio what would you talk about?

Post by bambooweb »

Next Saturday I will be on the radio for an hour with Phyllis Stephens talking about bamboo. I plan on talking about the varieties that will grow locally, how to control, pest control(mites and gophers) and "local" events.

Do you have any other ideas on what to talk about?

Thanks,
Bill
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: If you were on the radio what would you talk about?

Post by Roy »

bambooweb wrote:Next Saturday I will be on the radio for an hour with Phyllis Stephens talking about bamboo. I plan on talking about the varieties that will grow locally, how to control, pest control(mites and gophers) and "local" events.

Do you have any other ideas on what to talk about?

Thanks,
Bill
Every other paragraph put a plug in for The World's Largest Bamboo Gallery: Bambooweb.info. :wav:

Since it's a "local" show I won't ask you to talk about tropical bamboos.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
BooKing
Location info: 0

Post by BooKing »

Tell everyone listening to write their representatives to get the archaic laws on importing bamboo changed. :lol: :lol: Pass the Parvafolia around :wink:
boonatick

Post by boonatick »

what station?,,and what time?,are they on internet radio also?,,,,You might mention that bamboo is the wood of the future, and some of its many other uses,,,,,and that it produces more oxigyn than trees
Kaylen. zone 8 borderline b.near Boerne Texas
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Also mention the unusual flowering pattern.

8)
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

Thanks for the suggestions.
I will be on KXLY 920 from 9:00 to 10:00 Pacific. Unfortunately they do not broadcast on the internet.

Bill
kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

Post by kstanwick »

whats the number to call in to
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
green99
Location: North of San Francisco 300 miles near the coast. Zone 8-9

radio

Post by green99 »

That's great spread the word!
Maybe talk about how some bamboos are clumpers and some are runners, and how alot of runners aren't something to be fearful of. The first thing alot of people think about bamboo is "oh my god that stuff takes over". Maybe tell them how most bamboos prefer summer rain to flurish, and alot of us on the west coast(mediterranian summer climate) get very little.
Another thought might be the advantages of having bamboo as a privacy screen in an urban environment.
Your enthusiasm will be contagious! Good luck!
needmore

Post by needmore »

Billweb, I find that folks often are very interested to learn that bamboo does not grow like a tree in terms of each culm upsizing annually - and to explain how the shoot starts to swell and then is maximum height/diameter in 30-45 days.

PS - I'm picking up some new boxes next week and can ship your plants late week or early the following. It's been mid 50's outside and 102 inside the g house and things are really waking up so I'll try to cool/slow them down this week so that they don't join the shooting club.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

I suppose that I need to start with what is not a bamboo. Most of the people around here that complain that they can not get rid of their bamboo have Japanese Knotweed (Polygonum cuspidatum) or Horsetail (Equisetum sp.).

Green99, I have found that the low rainfall is a good control strategy. Just run drip irrigation lines where you want it to grow and the bamboo will follow the water. Of course once you get use to controlling the bamboo that way there will be a wet fall and it will run everywhere. :o

Brad, I will be getting 16 pots of bamboo from other sources next week so I can wait for yours. :D Now if the ground will just thaw out :(
I do keep shade cloth on my greenhouse during the winter to prevent the wide temperature swings that might cause the plants to break dormancy.

Bill
green99
Location: North of San Francisco 300 miles near the coast. Zone 8-9

microclimates

Post by green99 »

That's the thing about living on the west coast. There are so many microclimates it makes it's hard to give advice. In some areas bamboo can be a nuscense, and other areas it barely survives.
I used to live on the coast in a really cool microclimate that hardly got into the high 80's, and set records when it did. Alot of bamboos did great there on their own.
Now I'm living about 25 miles from the coast, and the bamboo barely makes it without irrigation. There are some 15 year old clumps about 5 feet tall by 7 feet wide max(left without water in the sun). I'm basically planting all my bamboo in the oak shade to shelter it from the intense 110 F heat we get every summer, and to conserve water.
That's the thing that makes explaining the spreading of bamboo on the west coast complicated, but I feel it's best to give people optimism, and let them figure out their own microclimate.
I get the feeling that Washington has some great bamboo growing spots!
Cheers,
Kyle
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

I get the feeling that Washington has some great bamboo growing spots!
Just not near tyler, wa
8) Where dry soil is a virtue 8)
Bamboomoon

Post by Bamboomoon »

Bill: I second the idea of taking a moment to talk about the mysterious, remarkable flowering of various bamboo species. That a plant might flower only once every 120 years, or once every 80 years, etc., is truly one of the great mysteries of the world. When a generation does not live long enough to see a species flower, it really underlines one of the reasons why bamboo is enveloped in nuance. It's good for us to think about things we can't understand, especially when the answers can't be known. I was captivated by this information when I first got into bamboo, and it still opens my mind to think about it.

Interviewers have questions they want to ask, but it's easy to answer the question and immediately segway into what you think may be a more interesting / important topic. I'm sure you have experience worth imparting, even if Phylis is actually quite knowledgeable (about bamboo) herself. Even well prepped interviewers with any smarts, will let you run with your topic. You probably already know this ...

I take it this interview will be on at 9am on Sat morning on call number 920 one the AM radio dial? I will have to see if it comes in over here across the mountains. Have fun.
BambooMoon
zone 8b
Snohomish, Wa
kudzu9
Location: Greater Seattle, WA, area; Zone 8. Summers:mainly 60's-70's. Winters are rainy, but above freezing except for a few 15 deg F days; 1-2 days of snow max.

Post by kudzu9 »

Bill-
Looks like you've gotten a lot of good ideas. A couple of others you might work in:

-The various sizes of bamboo (some are only a couple of inches high when full grown, and others are giants).
-Species that are suitable for growing indoors.
-Whether there are any clumpers that do well in your climate zone.
-The growing use of bamboo products in the U.S.: flooring, cutting boards, furniture.
-How to get rid of unwanted bamboo: post a notice on BambooWeb!

Oh...and add "Lucky bamboo" to your list of plants that are not bamboo....
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

make sure they know you can't just plant a runner and forget it. you always will have a little maintenance work. (unless they have unlimited space to work with) Can you post the recording somewhere if they offer a copy?
Rick