digging/transplanting large mature specimans

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

OKbamboo
Location info: 0

digging/transplanting large mature specimans

Post by OKbamboo »

I have the opportunity of digging some very large, mature specimans of Vivax, Japanese Timber, Violescens and Dulcis. I've transplanted stuff before that was up to 20 foot high. I was wondering what I should do differently if anything!! In the past I would sometimes top the culms so that foliage would be in proportion to the root ball. I don't want to do that with these "BIG", mature pieces, so I am thinking maybe just debranching some. If anyone has had any experiences digging/transplanting such material I would love to hear from you!
Thanks,
Steve
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Steve, I've dug a few huge ones in TN and it's really no different than digging small divisions - get plenty of root/rhizome mass and don't let the sun shine on it, water at once if possible. I'd suggest that you try to time the dig for an overcast day, light winds if possible. If it's a sunny day, get the entire thing in the shade as soon as it's out of the ground, don't transport unwrapped/exposed in a truck. Heel in the rootball as soon as you reach the stabilizing site (leaves, mulch etc) and water, shade blah blah blah.

Don't bother topping or branching it unless it shows signs of stress and if it does you can shorten some of the branches in steps until it seems back in balance again.

Look at Lewis Bamboo's website to see the size rootball they go for - lots of pics of them on their current events page, Adam Turtle sells nothing but large divisions and his rule of thumb is 5 culm diameters out from the culms for the rootball size - I prefer to up it to 8 or so as what is a few extra pounds of dirt among bambo friends?.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

RE: digging/transplanting large mature specimans

Post by kstanwick »

I would get as much rootball as you can manage. I believe kudzu's (i think it's his) method of laying them down in a shaded area and covering them with mulch for short time(rootball that is) and watering them is a good practice if you can't get them in the ground right away.
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

I just dug out some 30+footers and 1 3/4 in.diameter culms of Nuda this week. The largest was a 4foot by 5foot rootball which had 3 culms all over 1 1/2inch diameter canes and over 30ft. As soon as I dug it I had a
2gal Sprayer and doused the roots with water. I used a heavyduty tarp to wrap it after watering it and topped them off at 15ft. All the divisions are doing good and are planted now. Luckily the rhizomes and roots all were contained in the top 6in. of soil. I have been misting them 2X a day for there is little foliage left on the culms, all the foliage was mostly on the top 15feet or so. It's not too bad once you get the hang of it.
kstanwick

Post by kstanwick »

Where did you find the nuda?? was it on 287?? Hangluss's find??
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

It's amazing the roots/rhizomes all stay so close to the surface, even in big groves.

BooKing, what kind of low temps can they get where you dug? Kurt, what temperatures @ Hangluus' site? Groves that big must have experienced some pretty cold weather over the years. Thanks.
--Mike
kstanwick

Post by kstanwick »

Mike, Steve told me about a grove he noticed on Rt. 287....a major vein that runs north and south in jersey. he took some pics. I am only assuming it was nuda. I have no idea what it is. I'm curious because i want to try and get some of that myself........If it stays green by me i want it. that little bissetti you gave me seemed to fair well this winter. I have high hopes for it. very little leaf burn....although it is very little still...lol my YG seemed to suffer pretty good leaf burn. I will be curious to see if the culms that leafed out last year will do the same this year. I am guessing i am a few degrees colder than anywhere east of me.....i.e. Pat or Steve....they are closer to that big place they call the city....probably an hour closer.
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Refer to this thread about the booking nuda episode I
http://bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic.php?t=58

Rutgers apparently has a nice grove of it.
http://rutgersgardens.rutgers.edu/bamboo.html

8)
kstanwick

Post by kstanwick »

thanks Lance ...missed that one....lol. Didn't know you could dig there. I have seen pics of that grove from the paper. occasionally they do a piece on it. hour and a half south of me.
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

Kurt,

I made prior arrangements and begged to dig there also gave some nice plant donations. The grove where I dug is across the street from the really big grove. The big grove no one is allowed to dig from due to someone cutting culms and it caused snowdamage when they are thinned.[no support next to each other].

Mike, the coldest was -13F in 1984 for that bamboo. The coldest by me was -11F.
kstanwick

Post by kstanwick »

Hmm...Is that grove off River Rd?? It would be nice to do a "drive by" ...I do make it out of the county a couple of times a year lol....My wife's family actually is in Spotswood and South Amboy and i travel along river Rd. to get to Rt. 18....I might have to cross the "line" in april for a family gathering.....
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
Cactus Joe

Post by Cactus Joe »

I am planning of digging some too...........

A question - I was thinking of getting the root ball on to the truck before I douse it with water. That way, the root ball is lighter and easier to lift up. (and less messy). Properly managed, I would estimate that there will be a maximum delay of 15 mintues from freeing the root ball till getting it onto the truck bad. Of course, the root ball will be wrapped with tarp before we do the lifting, as it's easier to handle that way.

Is 15 minutes delay before wetting the rootball likely to do any damage?
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

No. That's not a problem Cactus Joe. I misted the roots with water as soon as I dug them because I knew it would take me awhile to get the biggest division to the truck[1hr to load].