Best way to remove branches for harvested culms

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

sfhellwig
Location info: 0

Best way to remove branches for harvested culms

Post by sfhellwig »

Unfortunately a local grove of what appeared to be yellow groove just got torn out by it's owner. I was going to ask if I could dig but the damage is already done. Good part is they don't care how much of the old culms I take. In my limited experience it seems difficult to remove the branches without leaving something sharp or pointy. I just want to make these as safe as possible as my two young daughters love to play with the stuff. How do you folks do it?
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: Best way to remove branches for harvested culms

Post by needmore »

If you try to do it with pruners, you'll likely end up with the sharp stumps that you don't want. Perhaps a fine toothed saw would do it, also if you stand the culms upright, grab the branch near the culm and pull downward, you can often get a clean 'cut'. This may work better when still green, I don't recall. It is not a technique for large quantities as you'll find out...
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
OKbamboo

Post by OKbamboo »

Best way to remove all bamboo branches is to invest in some concave cutters or knob cutters that are used in bonsai. I have heavy duty, larger pair of concave cutters that will remove branches clean to the culm surface.
satx78218

Post by satx78218 »

I've cleaned off branches of bunch of Ph. aurea culms and also cut the culms themselvs with a 4 inch angle grinder using a metal cutting disc. The abrasive action smells, but the cut is quick and clean and "cauterized" fwiw.
Bamboomoon

Post by Bamboomoon »

If you make a small "nick" (as close to the culm as possible) with a saw on the underside of the branch, it is easy to tear off the branch with a downward jerk. The nick doesn't even need to be very deep. Bamboo Mary showed me this trick, and it works really well.
BambooMoon
zone 8b
Snohomish, Wa
sfhellwig

Post by sfhellwig »

All excellent suggestions. I may actually get my angle grinder out as I have several culms with many branches. Concave cutters are on my list for down the road but for now I will try the nick the branch technique. I tried to just tear them off of one last night and I have bandages on my fingers today. I will leave one with branches to dry and see if it is easier dry or green. Thanks for the input.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

The downward snap may be somewhat species specific, I believe that Viridis did it pretty reliably but your bloody fingers are not a good sign :cry:
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Eastlandia

Post by Eastlandia »

I used live Bissettii clums in Slidell LA for poll-vaulting. I cut off the branches using basic cutters then did detail work to round off the sharp edge inside. I can slide my hand both ways and it dosent cut or hurt this way. Old (dry) clums are harder but with files you can make them safe for childern. Also watch for cracks in the internodes. these are more deadly for cuts. -Eastlandia
Brian T. Lawrence
Southern Indiana (2002-2011)
Fort Myers Florida (2012-2013)
Tanzania (2014)