Why is Moso so hard to grow large?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Cooper12
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Why is Moso so hard to grow large?

Post by Cooper12 »

My Goldstripe was only planted from a one into a 10gal this last winter. Its already shooting 12 new Culms. of course they are small but i plan on planting this either in the fall or winter. We rarely get to or below 15 here and the first few years if there are nights it looks like it would get that low i could put a 20 or 40 mil plastic Teepee around it. So far its shooting very good. My Vivax varieties , Parvifolia , and Robert Young are all shooting or starting too. Nothing on my nigra varieties yet or Bambusoides Albovariegata
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
T9D

Post by T9D »

Bamboo garden nursery posted a photo of on facebook of a 6" culm in Washington. That's crazy big.

https://scontent-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot ... e=55D840BB
Robbie78

Post by Robbie78 »

I saw their post, pretty amazing. I have the same kind I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zxylene

Post by zxylene »

T9D wrote:Bamboo garden nursery posted a photo of on facebook of a 6" culm in Washington. That's crazy big.

https://scontent-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot ... e=55D840BB
Wow that is fantastic. I wish I could grow some even close to that size my Moso gets about 1/4 " and 3 feet tall and gets completely top killed every winter.
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

Moso does not like the cold here, and gets leaf burned easy in winter in anything below 20 deg. F. They also do not like hot dry weather in summer either. I have measured 4.5" Moso culms at Bamboo and Koi Garden in West, Linn, Oregon. Paul has the largest Moso stand that I have seen in Oregon there. Bamboo Garden claims a 5" Moso culm, but they measured at the base with the culm sheaths attached (that's cheating!). Paul also has the largest black bamboo culms that I have seen anywhere. He says thinning is the key to getting larger culms in old groves. At Hakone Garden in Saratoga, CA they have a rather large stand of Moso, and the largest Moso culms I have seen in California.
Happy trails...
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I see dry and damaged leaves appearing (damaged before they even unfurl) every spring with many tops or branches just dropping down and drying out. I still have no idea if that's work of some kind of insects, drought stress or because I watered the plant and it didn't like it. It rained now for nearly 3 days and soil got well watered for a while. I'll see if new branches and leaves appear damaged. After that, I'll first use insecticide (neem oil) then I'll set a sprinkler system and regularly water the thing, and if it doesn't eliminate the problem, stop watering completely and leave it in drought conditions.