Arrow Bamboo Flowering Survival Rate?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

iandad
Location info: 0

Arrow Bamboo Flowering Survival Rate?

Post by iandad »

Long time no see guys :)

Been busy whitewater boating, living life, etc. to indulge in boo addiction. I have noticed that my pj is now flowering, Zone 6. The original divisions were from "wild" groves in Aiken, SC. Been in the ground here and doing VERY well for about five years. Up against the house has helped shelter from cold a** winds...

Anyone have a guess on the viability of these plants? Any action I should take at this point, other than just wait and see?

TIA
Zone Challenged...
bamboothew

Re: Arrow Bamboo Flowering Survival Rate?

Post by bamboothew »

From what I hear, japonica usually doesn't die from flowering but usually doesn't produce viable seed either. Funny that I just noticed earlier that some of my potted japonicas are flowering. I am not going to remove the flowers just in case they do make viable seeds that may grow into something interesting.
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
iandad

Post by iandad »

Interesting... I guess I will just let the smallish grove ride through the Winter and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply, love to hear from someone who has been through this.
Zone Challenged...
iandad

Post by iandad »

The Arrow is looking pretty scraggly, no new leaves this year just raggedy looking "old" leaves. Not all culms are flowering but most are. No shoots this year either... The culms that are not flowering are producing new leaves though.

My thought wast to remove the culms with the flowers and see if they plant will recover. Any thoughts?
Zone Challenged...
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Pj flowerred here sometime in the late 80's. Matt's quite right, we never saw a single seed. Removing flowering culms was a waste of time.

Two of three years late it came up again but took another couple to get back to its usual pace. It will probably be a lot speedier for you in Pa.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
iandad

Post by iandad »

Hmm. They look pretty ratty with the notSeedy flowers and browning leaves, I may knock them all down and see if I get any shoots next year.

This spot has Indocalamus tessellatus growing in it also. Not as tall, but very pretty none the less...
Zone Challenged...
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I tess has also been lightly flowering the past few years so you may have a nice flowery spot there.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com