Conjecture: Genuflection caused by wind

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

jpluddite
Location info: 0

Conjecture: Genuflection caused by wind

Post by jpluddite »

Hi guys.

This season a few of us posted questions/comments about the tendency of some bamboo species to create crooked stems. In a couple of those comments, folks were trying to understand whether their bamboo had been wind damaged. In my case I was worried that a fairly intense wind storm had broken a couple of 5-to-6 foot tall shoots.

The bending behavior might be adaptive to the plant because by bending the vulnerable culm is less exposed to the wind, so that trait might be selected.

Maybe someone with several groves and/or a greenhouse could do an experiment. The control group would be protected from wind and the treatment groups would have to be exposed to various amounts and durations of wind. If wind is involved, the control plants would have fewer crooked stems.
Tarzanus

Re: Conjecture: Genuflection caused by wind

Post by Tarzanus »

We've had a lot of wind this spring. I've been worried that my tall Spectabilis will get broken at some point, but they managed to stay upright. At second node, two or three culms started 'falling', but they only made one little off-center internode. We've had wind all the time, it could be wind related, but I doubt it, because after that, wind got stronger and they all remained straight. They all went into the same direction. Towards East, I think. With extremely wet and shitty weather it might be 'scouting for sun' related as well. :mrgreen:
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

only time I have seen those crooked stems formed is because of strong winds bent them over and they turn and go upright again.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Have a lot of P aureosulcata (5 types and multiple plantings of most) around here, some of it very protected from wind. Observation on the bending and straitening of new culms:

Happens most on younger, and spreading groves. less pronounced in mature groves.

Less pronounced in P a aurea than others.

Random and multi directional bending by culms does not seem caused by wind.

Seems to happen most when there are many new shoots coming off planting. May indicate 'competition' among culms for resources.

A long time ago I took some higher level botany courses. Have forgotten most of it, but this behavior is governed by plant hormones (gibberellens and auxins are the terms that come to mind) Also related topics are tropism responses (eg helio and thigmo) and "foolish seedling disease".

But who knows, maybe wind is a factor.

As for the term 'genuflection'... reminds me of some poor sucker bowing to a ... never mind
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

I have 7 types of aureosulcatas, nuda, and some other boos that commonly zig zag. I would say that wind is a non-factor, as several of them are protected from the wind and some have bent in my greenhouses. I have also seen zig zag bending at Bamboo Garden in one of several of their huge greenhouses. The cause for bending I believe is similar to the cause of aurea internode compression, but when bending it only happens on one side of the culm. It seems to be genetic, like aurea and moso internode compression.
Happy trails...
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

What about sun exposure?
Do they zig-zag in the shade? Is it more or less common?
If hormone related, how come they always return back to their starting vertical position and not just start growing upwards again? All the zigzags I've seen had returned to their starting position after several zigzags.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Have seen it in both sun and shade but have not made a study of light direction. Probably is genetic, and plant hormones are involved in the expression of trait.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

I think a reasonable guess based on previous observations is that the zig-zagging is caused by one side of the culm sheath detaching as the culm grows. Detaching the culm sheaths can be done to stunt the growth of a culm, the culm sheaths of Phyllostachys aurea can be very tattered looking where they join the nodes explaining the node's appearance, it seems reasonable that detaching one side of the culm sheath can cause the culm to grow with a bend to it.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.