Fuel Oil as a Fertilizer

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

richr
Location info: 0

Fuel Oil as a Fertilizer

Post by richr »

I was told by a local farmer, that fuel oil (used and new) were used on fields as a fertilizer for growing corn and wheat. Apparently this was used up until the 60's. He said that bacteria in the soil would eat the fuel oil and convert it into fertilizer. He also said that this was practiced for many years until 'modern' fertilizers were used.
Is there any information on this? I can find nothing on the web.
r
Mackel in DFW

Re: Fuel Oil as a Fertilizer

Post by Mackel in DFW »

Sounds ridiculous! :)

Mackel
moriphen
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Post by moriphen »

One word: Benzene
M
oobmab

Post by oobmab »

I don't think there's much benzene in diesel. It's a gasoline additive.
oobmab

Post by oobmab »

richr wrote:I was told by a local farmer, that fuel oil (used and new) were used on fields as a fertilizer for growing corn and wheat. Apparently this was used up until the 60's. He said that bacteria in the soil would eat the fuel oil and convert it into fertilizer. He also said that this was practiced for many years until 'modern' fertilizers were used.
r
What is used fuel oil? Once fuel is used it's gone.
JWH

Post by JWH »

Sounds risky to me...who knows what kinds of chemicals/additives could be in it. Never heard of any kind of fuel being good for plants...except to burn them!! :P
richr

Post by richr »

I had the same response when he told me. At first I thought he was putting me on, then I realized he wasn't. He owns hundreds of acres in this county, now all in corn and soybean that a company grows for him,,he collects a check at the end at the end of the season. Then, I spoke to another farmer here,,,who did the same thing. I don't know the concentrations, but it was sprayed on, and the ground was then plowed.
r
dependable

Post by dependable »

Have heard the practice of building up oil eating bacteria to clean contaminated soil. Fuel used to be cheaper than fertilizer, it would not surprise me if it was done, probably pretty light doses.
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

There is something in petroleum products that plants like. Noticed yesterday that where they put down new (hot) tar on a road that the grasses on the edge of the road greened up very noticeably.
MarCat
richr

Post by richr »

I have a small field in the back. I've put down a quart of fresh motor oil in a thin stripe, and used motor oil in another stripe. I'll let you guys know what happens via photos.
oobmab

Post by oobmab »

Are we talking about fuel oil, or motor oil? The OP mentions fuel oil, which is basically no. 2 diesel.

If they used to spray motor oil on fields, then I'm pretty certain that they would have diluted it with diesel in order for it to be able to pass through the sprayer. Just pouring motor oil on the ground would smother plants growing there, I think.
richr

Post by richr »

oobmab - I did not add diesel to the motor oil - I have noticed the grass underneath the oil had died. I am waiting to see if the sides of these stripes turn green,,,which they seem to be doing already, both on the new oil and used oil.
r
Mike McG
Location info: 71

Post by Mike McG »

richr wrote:I was told by a local farmer, that fuel oil (used and new) were used on fields as a fertilizer for growing corn and wheat. Apparently this was used up until the 60's. He said that bacteria in the soil would eat the fuel oil and convert it into fertilizer. He also said that this was practiced for many years until 'modern' fertilizers were used.
r
I have never heard of any petroleum or coal based fuel fractions used directly as a fertilizer, however there were aromatic distillate fractions produced to be used as "weed spray oil", essentially a herbicide. This was a boiling range fraction somewhat similar to No 2 oil/diesel. They were used either as a total weed killer or to control weeds between crop rows. I googled the attached article describing the oil for weed control for crops. http://ucanr.edu/repositoryfiles/ca110p2a-71119.pdf

Mike McG
near Brenham TX