my new planted bamboo is dying.... I think

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

steelfish
Location info: 0

my new planted bamboo is dying.... I think

Post by steelfish »

hey guys, this is Alex from Mexico, Baja, my zone is #9, almost like desert zones, hot in summer and really cold in winter... no snow but really cold.

ok, I purchased a new timber bamboo on a 15g pot, it was all green and few leaves and branches all green too.. I keep it on the 15gl pot for 1 week and then planted it, I used a mix of local dirt and miraclegrow pot mix 3 cubic feet.
it is planted 2ft deep.

well everything was good for a week, it has new leaves really healthy and all but suddenly on the 2nd week, the leaves started to curl and turn yellowish and brown, they are not totally dry but all brown... I wasnt worry for the first 3-4 days since I thought it was a late trasplanting shock, for the first days I watered everyday and after a week since the problem wasnt stopped, I started to watered the plant every two days.. but still same problem.
now I bit of worry cuz the trunk or main culm now started to turn yellowish too, when it was dark green.

what do you recommend me to do in order to try to save this plant?

take it out and put it on a big pot?
add fertilize or any vitamin?
leave it like that and wait for spring to revive it?

Im totally loss here

dependable

Re: my new planted bamboo is dying.... I think

Post by dependable »

At this point I would keep it damp (not soaked) and leave it be. See what comes up in spring, nothing to gain by moving it again.
steelfish

Post by steelfish »

Well, I think I will do that

Thanks
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

How was it transported? many times even driving it down the road in the back of a truck can fry the foliage or it possibly dried out . Like dependable said keep it watered , theres a good chance it will shed those leaves and push more in the spring .
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
Mackel in DFW

Post by Mackel in DFW »

In my opinion it is planted about 16 inches to deep...and may be drowning.

M
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

I am guessing you didn't preserve enough of the orininal root ball (with dirt intact). The problem is, when transplanting a bamboo from a pot, there is a good chance that the dirt would fall of from the roots. It would take time for root follicals to really attach the new soil and new soil type. In the mean time, it could not extract enough water and nutrients, thus it would sacrifice some leaves or even branches.
There is still hope, just have patience.

The other possibility may be drowning as stated earlier, but looking at the photos, the dirt should drain well, so I would rule this out. Drowning typically occurs only in a pot that have no drainage holes.
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

Oh and another reason could be sun-shock. I.e if this plant had always been in shaded areas, and now suddenly exposed to full sun. Add to that the transplant shock. That could be lethal combo...
bambambooboo

Post by bambambooboo »

Any of the above, could also be that pre-fertilized potting mix. Nearly every time I've fertilized a new division, I damaged it such that now I hold off until a plant is well established before fertilizing. I know I've read here that some guys feed their new plants but I always have better luck to leave them be, not even to lightly fertilize. And with that potting soil, you've no idea how much is in there.
"Without bamboo, the land dies." ~~saying
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

bambambooboo wrote:Any of the above, could also be that pre-fertilized potting mix. Nearly every time I've fertilized a new division, I damaged it such that now I hold off until a plant is well established before fertilizing. I know I've read here that some guys feed their new plants but I always have better luck to leave them be, not even to lightly fertilize. And with that potting soil, you've no idea how much is in there.

very well could be true. especially if the soil is enriched with any kind of fertilizer then you feed it.
I only feed newbies with a no or super low nitrogen fertilizer .
I like a 0-10-10 or something along those lines i can get in a organic. i have been getting alaskan brand lately . pretty mild
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country