Phy. glauca 'Yunzhu' flowering

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

ShmuBamboo
Location info: 0

Phy. glauca 'Yunzhu' flowering

Post by ShmuBamboo »

I have had this Phy. glauca Yunzhu bamboo for 4 years now, and it is still flowering after 4 years. Last year it put up 5 new larger culms (it is in a 15 gallon pot) and I thought that maybe the flowering was done and it was going to revert, but all the new and old culms are putting out flowers now instead of leaves like my other boos. It seems that this is the last hurrah for this guy. It was never stressed and it was not divided or otherwise messed with. I feed and water it the same as my other boos.

Looking around on the web it seems that this species is indeed flowering worldwide now. Since about 2008 it is reported as flowering in Mississippi, Chile and in Canada. It has been flowering for the past 4 years here in Oregon as well. This specimen came from BG about 8 years ago.
Happy trails...
Van-isle-bamboo

Re: Phy. glauca 'Yunzhu' flowering

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Shmu, interesting stuff with the glauca 'yunzhu'. I Have the normal green form glauca and I havnt noticed and signs of flowering. Culms are about 1.5" and the grove is 15'x15'. I haven't seen the 'yunzhu' here on Vancouver Island. I'm sure there is some around so I'll keep the lookout though. Have you harvested and viable seeds?

Thanks for sharing
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

I sent some of what looked like viable seeds from this boo to someone here on this forum in a "trade" but I never got any feedback from that trader, or the rhizome that I as supposed to get in trade. That was from an earlier bloom from this boo 2 years ago. Last year the old culms bloomed, but none of the seeds were viable. This year the entire thing is blooming like never before and I suspect that I will get viable seeds from it. The only other bamboo that I had that flowered was Bam. multiplex and this environment was just too cold for it and it died after flowering and none of the seeds were viable.
Happy trails...
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

[someone here on this forum in a "trade" but I never got any feedback from that trader, or the rhizome that I as supposed to get in trade.

well thats a bummer and sad to hear
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I would love to grow another one from seed this year. No worries about not informing, because I usually spam a lot. :mrgreen:

Sometimes grain can be quite fat even if seeds are sterile. Happens with poliploidy and hybrids.
wufeng
Location: My plants grows in Prague and another 3 places in The Czech republic, zone 6.

Post by wufeng »

My plant is partially flowering for two years. Producing no viable seeds yet.
I am engaged in pages about hardy bamboos in Czech language - http://bambusy.info/.
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

wufeng wrote:My plant is partially flowering for two years. Producing no viable seeds yet.
So we can add the Czech Republic to the list where Phy. glauca 'Yunzhu' is flowering?
Happy trails...