Moving a grove of moso to a sunnier and less damp spot

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Moving a grove of moso to a sunnier and less damp spot

Post by stevelau1911 »

I was down at Dave Andrew's place a couple of days ago in southern MD. I harvested a bunch of his shoots, but I also helped him move his 8 culm moso grove to a sunnier location since the spot it was in was too damp with almost no direct sunlight at all.

Here's the whole thing taken out of the ground with some soil knocked off.

The whole thing had to be around 200lbs, but it was still manageable to roll it into a wheelbarrow to get it moved about 100 yards to a much sunnier location with dryer better draining soil.

The hole was dug wide and deep enough so that it would be easy to slide in the entire root ball with ease.

It was pretty much a perfect fit with hardly any movement at all even before the soil was getting filled back in.

It was definitely flush with the ground with soil pushed back under the root ball to make sure there are no big air pockets.

Here's a better view of the culms. It looks like this planting will like its new place where it should have a lot more room to grow.

There's not much foliage now since it had so much competition before, but it should look a lot better in another year.
I_am_Ian
Location info: 0

Re: Moving a grove of moso to a sunnier and less damp spot

Post by I_am_Ian »

Ah, the things we do for our bamboo.
mshaffer

Post by mshaffer »

I thought the winter top killed all the bamboo in this area but I guess his survived.
cole

Post by cole »

Awesome photo essay.