Phy Propinqua ‘Beijing’ Flowering

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Re: Phy Propinqua ‘Beijing’ Flowering

Post by johnw »

Alan - My Beijing is down to 2 x 12ft culms. One is leafless and flowered heavily last year, the other is flowerless and with leaves intact and re-leafing. The flowered culm appears to be sending out new leaves.

john
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
johnw

Post by johnw »

Update, both 'Beijing' culms are sending out new leaves and one big shoot has emerged. So maybe it will survive.

john
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Shoots are not a sign of recovery -- I had a dozen or more this year and last and they all produced flowers right away. Fingers crossed for you though!
johnw

Post by johnw »

And no new leaves on any culms Alan?

john
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

mine is nearly extinct after mice wreck havoc on its root/rhisome system. I made the mistake of tarping it last winter, and by Spring only one severely-damaged culm manages to releaf to about 5% (a few dozen individual leafs). No shoots this season. I suspect it has become a living stick, and may not make it through another winter.
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

For the most part, no new leaves. Most of the culms look like this:

There are a few that look like this though, including two of the new culms farthest from the plant (not quite this leafy of course):

So I don't know what the prognosis is. I'm still leaning toward removing this and perhaps saving the new culms that didn't grow flowers -- the ones that are farthest from the main plant.
Tyke-A

Post by Tyke-A »

Mine started flowering recently. Any idea how long it takes seed to fully ripen? I husked a few seeds and at the end of the thread there were various sized grains so I'm assuming at least some of the seeds will be viable. Anyone else have any luck getting seeds?
johnw

Post by johnw »

Here one old culm dead, one flushing a few new leaves and a new culm only got a foot high. That latter culm 's first leaves turned burgundy then brown but newer leaves are fine. No sign of more flowers and last year's produced no seed.

john
Tyke-A

Post by Tyke-A »

Brad had mentioned that these may not be Propinqua at all. Can Bamboo be identified by the seed kernel? I had bought some internet seeds a couple of years ago and the seed kernel on those had a long banana shape to them. These are round but that may have to do with them not being fully ripened. The internet seeds were supposed to be Bambusa Lako and they were viable.
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

Mine flowered heavily last year but produced no viable seeds for some reason. If the seed feels full like there is a grain of rice inside it, then it is probably good.
johnw

Post by johnw »

One culm flowering here too, took long enough after last year's false start. Not expecting any seeds, only the Fargesias seem to set seed here and not the Phyllos.

johnw
Tyke-A

Post by Tyke-A »

Anyone seeing signs of life? Mine looks dead. Everything else is putting up shoots
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Since I removed the main plant last summer, I only have a few escaped culms and some culmless rhizomes to go by, but both of those sections have already started shooting (it was earlier than any of the other bamboos by 2 weeks or more). I've removed all of the shoots, but still have a few culms with leaves remaining so we'll see how that goes.
wufeng
Location: My plants grows in Prague and another 3 places in The Czech republic, zone 6.

Post by wufeng »

Ph. Propinqua is still in the full flower here.

I am engaged in pages about hardy bamboos in Czech language - http://bambusy.info/.
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

My one escaped rhizome is putting up shoots now. They look floppy so I'm not getting excited, but we'll see. I'll have to make a decision on this one soon since it's going to be sending rhizomes into my neighbor's yard any second. :)