Bambusa Lako

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Greenfingeredste
Location info: 0

Bambusa Lako

Post by Greenfingeredste »

Evening all. I have ordered some Bambusa Lako Seeds from china and I'm after some advice. Being situated quite far North but with a very mild climate what are the chance of me successfully germinating and bringing these seeds on?. Has any one had any luck in growing these from seed and if so how did it fair once planted out?. I think I'm asking is it even worth me trying
philippe smets

Re: Bambusa Lako

Post by philippe smets »

I have got the bambusa lako in Italy--- Rome, temperature zone 9 and it s still a bit limit the grow the lako outside

Which temperatures have you got during the winter ?

philippe
Greenfingeredste

Post by Greenfingeredste »

philippe smets wrote:I have got the bambusa lako in Italy--- Rome, temperature zone 9 and it s still a bit limit the grow the lako outside

philippe
To be honest we don't get real low temps...there is a guy in next town who has lako growing in his garden...he has it up against the house wall that is also south facing...he has had a bit of top burn during last few winters however it still shoots every year but does not get tall...also the culms don't go the dark black they do in the tropics....obviously being in a temperate climate they get stunted and don't grow to full potential.

This last year the coldest in Britain for a prolonged period was about -10 but that was in far north of Scotland...the worst we had here in N.Wales was about -4 for a few days
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

Greenfingeredste wrote:
philippe smets wrote:I have got the bambusa lako in Italy--- Rome, temperature zone 9 and it s still a bit limit the grow the lako outside

philippe
To be honest we don't get real low temps...there is a guy in next town who has lako growing in his garden...he has it up against the house wall that is also south facing...he has had a bit of top burn during last few winters however it still shoots every year but does not get tall...also the culms don't go the dark black they do in the tropics....obviously being in a temperate climate they get stunted and don't grow to full potential.

This last year the coldest in Britain for a prolonged period was about -10 but that was in far north of Scotland...the worst we had here in N.Wales was about -4 for a few days
Honestly growing anything from seed is fun to me. :wink:
you can always put stakes around it on the coldest nights and put plastic around it if its going to be bad. sounds like it wouldn't get to big there to try it with and you wouldn't have to do it that often
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country