Phyllostachys arcana 'Luteosulcata' Very pale Variegation

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Phyllostachys arcana 'Luteosulcata' Very pale Variegatio

Post by needmore »

I think you've won the lottery with that one. I have a very few ripening seeds on the Sasaella masamuneana Aureostriata but not many. If I win the lottery with that one it will at best be like about any other sasa...
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I doubt it's special. Seedlings tend to get colored much faster. The thing with these seedlings is that they have somewhat different coloration. Some are more reddish, other turn more purple. I have yet to find if that's genetic or environmental (minimal differences in soil, location, exposure,...)

I have not seen such diversity on any of bamboos I've grown from seeds. The fact that I got 3 variegated seedlings itself is kind of extreme. Despite all that, there was not one seedling that would show any kind of culm striping like the original bamboo. Not for me and not for anyone else. Perhaps that can come with larger diameter culms...

PS: Good luck with your seeds! Sometimes you can get lucky. Keeping my fingers crossed.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

But the vigor of your seedling is impressive and that is a nice trait.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

regarding variegated seedlings...

The mold thing disappeared immediately after I placed the three seedlings outside. They shed a lot of leaves when I did that, but they soon started to recover.
The darker green seedling 'reverted' back to completely green leaves. Possibly, it becomes variegated inside due to different light conditions, I'll have to keep it outside in full sun during the year and see what happens. If it remains green, I'll try to make a division next year and keep one in the shade and one in full sun.
Two lemon-colored seedlings that were most affected by black mold are now colored almost the same. The older seedling that was sometimes the largest of the three still lags behind. This winter was not ideal for them, I have made a mistake by bringing them inside. Next winter, I'll just keep them covered in my raised bed.
variegation.jpg
It is impossible to get the colors right. This one looks really spectacular, because it started growing like hundred of small shoots when I watered it with an aspirin solution. While still inside it looked rather bad with all the blackened leaves, but it seems to me outdoor conditions fixed that. New leaves are in perfect condition. I hope to see some shoots this season. If not, I'll most likely (hopefully) see a nice upsize next spring.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Strong summer sun when it was the highest up in the sky (summer solstice) bleached the most variegated leaves. They first looked white and then turned brown and burnt parts of the leaf wilted. LEaves with more green color in them remained healthy and only have a brown spot or two. Despite decent heat (35°C for a week), some drought and bright sun at it's peak strength, all the variegated seedlings remained quite healthy. The darker green seedling reverted back into non-variegated state. It seems it only gets variegated when inside, possibly in the shade as well.

Oh, and some more info regarding culm color of the most variegated seedling. One year old culm (well it's still tiny) is orange. I'm not sure if it's red coloration due to sun exposure that is fading into yellow culm. All other culms from last year died off during winter. This year, I'm keeping them outside.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

https://cold-hardy.com/variegated-bambo ... 17-update/

Wrote down some more details, before I forget... The two brighter variegated seedlings look a bit worn out at the moment, but the drought related damage stopped and all the new leaves should be healthy again. I am impressed with their performance this summer. Despite lack of dormancy, they started running vigorously. Like many Phyllostachys arcana seedlings I've grown. They seem to be very aggressive!
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Some of the photos...

PS: It looks like posting photos doesn't work. By using Image PHPBB tags, it creates links. Issues with forum configuration due to webhost migration?
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Attaching images to the forum still doesn't work. Photos are available here.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Variegated and unvariegated seedlings are shooting. There are a lot of shoots and the upsize is quite impressive.
IMG_20180409_134541.jpg
Seedling without variegation. New shoots are quite large already and I'll need to find it new location before it starts spreading into my variegated seedling.
IMG_20180407_094338.jpg
The first variegated seedling. It ran further than other seedlings last year and it now has the largest number of new shoots. They are a bit smaller, yet they upsized nicely. Shoots are colored red. Not defined yet as well as the shoots of the second seedling or the non-variegated seedling.
IMG_20180409_134611.jpg
The second variegated seedling's shoot. Shoots are larger than other variegated seedling's shoots. Sheath coloration already seems arcana-ish.
Last edited by Tarzanus on Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Well, the third seedling got destroyed by deer and voles. They have eaten all the old growth and is now shooting. Not a pretty sight, this one suffers a lot despite being the most vigorous in the beginning. I hope it will start up again.
IMG_20180409_134727.jpg
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

New shoots are now getting tall enough to expose the culm color. It's now evident that one of the variegated seedlingsbmight have culm variegation as well. Dark green stripes on yellow-green culm. I need to take a photo or two, but it might be hard, because it seems to be the same progressive variegation like the leaves, at first difference is hardly noticeable and expressess fully in a couple of weeks.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Here, I published several photos of the possible culm variegation. I think I can now say it certainly is variegation. Check and reply. I'll add a more deteiled photo when the sheaths fall off in a month or so. What do you think about the sun burn color. I didn't edit the photo. The first seedling's color is brighter than that and it's really bloody red! :)

https://cold-hardy.com/possible-culm-co ... -seedling/
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Sunburn will actually appear almost black and not dark red as it seemed. It gets tanned too easy to stay light enough to see the actual red color. Regarding culm striping - There's a lot of it!
culm-variegation-p-arcana.jpg
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Color comparison - from left to right:
Wheat - variegated seedling - Non variegated seedling (and garlic somewhere in-between :))
https://photos.app.goo.gl/K5YNaXS9GBMYCT592
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

yellow-bamboo.jpg
As bamboos leaf-out, they are completely yellow. They then start turning darker green.

First leaves that are yellow started drying as the shoots reached max. height. Similar happened on my Cream white Shiroshima leaves. I checked the leaves now, and I saw spider mites and mold. All the dried parts of the leaves had black mold on them, so the drying of the leaves might be related to the rainy weather we've had.