Spectabalis in flower

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Van-isle-bamboo
Location info: 0

Spectabalis in flower

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Just received word from a Bamboo Nursary here in the Comox valley BC Canada that a spectabalis she has in the ground is starting to flower. I'm yet to check it out in person but I did review a picture ( HORIBLE quality) and its definitely the case.

My spectabalis is from her as well and no sign of flowering yet.

Has anyone seen any signs yet on theirs????
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Re: Spectabalis in flower

Post by johnw »

Had a few flowers on my 'Spectabilis' and 'Harbin Invera' after the ride from Oregon four years ago but no seed or more flowers. Seems to be a common occurence but doubt heavy flowering is.

john
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

The aureosulcata clan seems to sporadically flower. I've had multiple incidents of a few culms flower and the rest of them not. The flowering ones seem to not set seed and the groves have shown no more signs of it.

Just think what would happen if yellow groove went into full flower across the planet - poor CT woman would need a new cause.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Interesting stuff guys. I'll have to pass this on to my friend at the Nursary.
cole

Post by cole »

needmore wrote:
Just think what would happen if yellow groove went into full flower across the planet - poor CT woman would need a new cause.

God help the silverback gorillas.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

needmore wrote:The aureosulcata clan seems to sporadically flower. I've had multiple incidents of a few culms flower and the rest of them not. The flowering ones seem to not set seed and the groves have shown no more signs of it.

Given her "scientific back-ground" I supopose she could have gone on sabbatical until all the seeds had sprouted...........
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
grabhorn

Post by grabhorn »

Mine, too.
spectabilisflower2016.resized.jpg
cole

Post by cole »

needmore wrote:
She actually might be looking for a new cause. This is a 06880 blog post from 3 1/2 weeks ago: "... Art Schoeller writes that since January, as he bikes and drives around town, all he sees is dying bamboo. It’s happening on his property. It’s happening on Turkey Hill South and Greens Farms Road. Wherever the “worst alien invader” once was, it’s now met its match."

https://06880danwoog.com/2016/05/20/bam ... he-sequel/

I didn't notice it on my family member's Westport property, but there really are large swaths of barren brown culms as recent as two weeks ago. Edges of groves as much as crowded centers. No flowers ... just dead. And Westport/Southport had a mild winter.
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

needmore wrote:
Her actual cause was to harass her neighbors, the bamboo crusade was just a means to an end.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
cole

Post by cole »

foxd wrote:
needmore wrote:
Her actual cause was to harass her neighbors, the bamboo crusade was just a means to an end.
Gladys Kravitz 2.0
dependable

Post by dependable »

cole wrote:
She actually might be looking for a new cause. This is a 06880 blog post from 3 1/2 weeks ago: "... Art Schoeller writes that since January, as he bikes and drives around town, all he sees is dying bamboo. It’s happening on his property. It’s happening on Turkey Hill South and Greens Farms Road. Wherever the “worst alien invader” once was, it’s now met its match."

https://06880danwoog.com/2016/05/20/bam ... he-sequel/

I didn't notice it on my family member's Westport property, but there really are large swaths of barren brown culms as recent as two weeks ago. Edges of groves as much as crowded centers. No flowers ... just dead. And Westport/Southport had a mild winter.
Most of New England suffered a sub freezing gale force wind for two days last February, it had been unseasonably warm before the blast, which probably compounded the damage. Some of the less hardy species were killed to the ground, even in protected areas. Even very hardy species such as yellow groove and bissetti were defoliated and had a lot of culm death if they were in exposed areas.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Yeah, cold temps has to be the cause of that, people think mild winter but they forget a single killing night of stupid cold temps.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
mshaffer

Post by mshaffer »

I saved a couple screen captures from the February 14/15 2015 storm that killed a lot of bamboo in the mid-atlantic area. Easy to forget how bad the weather was. 55mph gusts and 9 degrees.
Attachments
feb152015b.jpg
feb152015a2.jpg
dependable

Post by dependable »

And it hit -7F here, -9 in Boston. Still, even +9F will hit P aurea, nigra, and some others that people think are fairly hardy.
cole

Post by cole »

Valentines Night 2016 went to -6F in Westport. A three day stretch was 25/3, 14/-6, and 32/6. Not even a hint of single digits for the rest of the winter. The prior winter, which was brutal, had two weeks of overnight lows in single digits. It's amazing to think how one night can cause so much devastation. Perhaps the -6F night was especially bad because there hadn't been any winter leading up? Christmas Day was mid-60s. February 1st was 60F.

Well, hopefully the rhizomes will spread far and wide this summer and fall, and the "alien invaders" come back strong.