Question about selling bamboo seedlings

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

mshaffer
Location info: 0

Question about selling bamboo seedlings

Post by mshaffer »

Can I sell new culms from this year or should I only sell ones that are a year or two old? I just don't want people to complain later if they die over the winter or something. I was just going to sell some in my local area on craigslist.
Tarzanus

Re: Question about selling bamboo seedlings

Post by Tarzanus »

I think you should at least wait a couple of months. They will settle their roots by then and perhaps even start growing rhizomes. You don't want them to buy living sticks. :)
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

If you are selling moso, I would definitely suggest potting them up at least until you know that they have either produced a rhizome, or shoot because it's one of the more delicate species that don't have that many shoot buds like many of the other phyllostachys.

If you can find a recycling center, then it should be easy to acquire truckloads of compost which is ideal for potting them up, and it's not hard to tarp up a bunch of potted bamboos since they can be tipped on their side if they get too tall for the winter. I think you could get buyers from eBay, facebook, and even this forum because there are constantly people looking around to grow bamboo. Obviously big growth potential is important.
fatpaw

Post by fatpaw »

hello,
I would be interested in some parvifolia bamboo if you have some?????
joe
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

fatpaw wrote:hello,
I would be interested in some parvifolia bamboo if you have some?????
joe
If you don't mind driving up to upstate NY, there is a massive plant that you can dig from, but I am not living close enough to there to visit very often right now so I can't send any, but I know that plenty of people on this forum can hook you up. I bet you have people with it within driving distance because you may be surprised at how many bamboo collectors there are.

Here's the plant becoming more and more massive each year.

Last year it had it's greatest jump in size, and I believe it will continue to creep upwards in size as long as it never gets top killed which it never has ever since it was planted in the spring of 2009.
mshaffer

Post by mshaffer »

Thanks for the advice. I finally potted one today. It was a lot harder than I thought it. Now I see why people buy those slammers.
Attachments
pottedbamboo.jpg
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

If you are getting a bunch of divisions now, it may be wise to wrap up the pots, then lay them on their sides to be tarped over because the 2nd half of this winter is expected to be pretty brutal, unless you simply put them into a greenhouse, or the main moso grove that you normally heat up.

Once those divisions produce new shoots, they will probably look better than the root-bounded aerosulcatas, or p nigras that they sell at the local gardening stores.