Website

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Website

Post by needmore »

I am pondering a new website for the needmorebamboo.com url, I have most of my old photos to use. Any suggestions for a bamboo website that would be of value? Most of what I have/know is for marginal zone 6 growing. I sat down and tried to get going but can not get traction on what I want to do - uninspired perhaps. Is just a bunch of photos useful?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Re: Website

Post by johnw »

Brad- All your personal experience with each bamboo was invaluable information for those of us interested in bamboo. Ornamental features, cultivational and especially your reliable hardiness ratings, the latter quite unlike all of the other overly-optimistic hardiness ratings out there on the internet. I'd trust your instincts whatever you come up with, I still go back to scereen shots of your former website as do many others.

john
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
wolfedg

Post by wolfedg »

Awesome idea. I still visit your archived webpage from time to time.

What I would like to see is more information on your experience of bamboo growth form year to year and what level of care you provided.
Details are lovely as well. One thing i've been kind of curious about -- on your old page you mention that 'Vivax forms do not do well for me' on your bamboo growth table but never really describe what 'not do well' implies.
Also comparisons between your former climate and the new one could be interesting, for instance do bamboo mature faster there?
Definitely should build upon what you already have too including the growth table, hardiness observations etc...
And love the photos as well :)
Visit my new blog Wolf's Gardens, Games, and other Getaways
https://wolfedg.blogspot.com/
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Loved your last page. Very inspiring. Thanks for taking the time to make it. As for the new one well I can't say much except keep up the good work!
needmore

Post by needmore »

Sounds like something similar to the last one was interesting to people. I have to start from scratch as I did not save any files except photos and the growth table. I appreciate the feedback. Having to cut so many culms each spring had a cumulative effect and toward the end I culled many groves. I suspect that I'll be more negative on marginal species this time. It will be interesting to return to my Indiana place one of these days, no one is maintaining the groves and I'm sure it looks miserable. But they may be denser and better protected from cold.

BTW - If I said that something did not do well for me like the vivax I meant that is essentailly died back every year and did not size up over time.
grabhorn

Post by grabhorn »

I agree with those above. Your previous site was fantastic - the photos, the identification tips, the hardiness data, all of it. I'd love to know more about different species' water and nutrient needs, too.

And Brad, since it's archived, we can more or less restore what you had before if you want that as a starting point.
needmore

Post by needmore »

grabhorn wrote:I agree with those above. Your previous site was fantastic - the photos, the identification tips, the hardiness data, all of it. I'd love to know more about different species' water and nutrient needs, too.

And Brad, since it's archived, we can more or less restore what you had before if you want that as a starting point.

I would welcome that archive, I'm clueless on what you mean though so help is welcome!
wolfedg

Post by wolfedg »

Here is the archive we are referring to. https://web.archive.org/web/20140712203 ... amboo.com/
There are different save dates as well if you search needmorebamboo.com in the search.
You should be able to reuse much of the material though.
Visit my new blog Wolf's Gardens, Games, and other Getaways
https://wolfedg.blogspot.com/
mountainbamboonut

Post by mountainbamboonut »

Brad, I was looking through your archives on that linked provided above, awesome! You had some really sweet basjoos and thai giants! I was curious if in your zone 6 where you were if you were able to cut those back in the fall and leave them in ground with mulch or if you planted them every year. I kept mine inside in a south facing window then would put them in the ground in my last zone 7 but was wondering how you did it. They were really beautiful! I am looking for our next homestead after selling our house in Nevada City, also in Sacramento on standby with 90 bamboo pots, basjoos and thai giants! haha. Can't wait to get them back in the ground and out of these pots. Take care my friend.
mountainbamboonut

Post by mountainbamboonut »

I have 90 plus pots of bamboo that I dug from my last home before I sold...all waiting to find a new home in the ground somewhere. This is about half of what I have jammed into my tiny rental yard until my wife and I find our next farm on acreage. I can't wait to get these guys back in the dirt!!
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg