Information on Fargesia yunnanensis and Fargesia gaolinensi

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Deane
Location info: 0

Information on Fargesia yunnanensis and Fargesia gaolinensi

Post by Deane »

I have just bought fargesia nitida black pearl,Fargesia yunnanensis and gaolinensi and have found out loads of info on black pearl including it does not like full sun "so I must move it tomorrow " but can't fine much info on yunnanensis or gaolinensi,can you good people help me out with some info eg sun/shade lowest temperature and so forth many thanks in advance
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Information on Fargesia yunnanensis and Fargesia gaoline

Post by needmore »

If these exist in the US they are quite uncommon so you may not get any replies from US forum members. Have you check out Kimmei.com?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

First, gaolinensis and yunnanensis are not really fargesia, they are Borindas. There is constant fighting about that and the whole thing is not yet over. Regarding Borinda gaolinensis - all the fargesia/borinda seeds that were sold last couple of years as F. fungosa, black stem, gaolinensis, songmingensis,... are supposed to be from the same bamboo - Borinda gaolinensis. I'm not sure about it, but for now, I still name my seedling Borinda fungosa, as that's what the seeds were supposed to be when I bought them. It does look the same as the gaolinensis-es I've seen others growing in France.

About hardiness. I have seen them suffer in full sun. As long as they were young and in their pot. When I planted it outside, it shaded out it's roots and even if it receives full sun during most of the day, it looks fabulous. It does wilt in the sun when the temperatures get high, but it unfolds immediately after the sun goes down or when they receive some watering over the leaves. Our climate is not optimal for them as we have both, too hot summers and too cold winters. It has survived 36°C last year for a week or so, with no issues. It does have issues at temperatures below -8°C, but it restarts in the spring. The problem it has and is common to all Borindas is, tendency to shoot late in the summer and fall. They love cooler temperatures and wet weather, which means they don't really like our relatively hot and dry summers. That is the reason (I think) that they grow very slowly during the summer and the spring shoots mature in late summer. Most of the shoots appear in late summer and fall (at least for me), which means they have no time to harden off before the winter kicks in and destroys tender new shoots. Growth in the fall is much faster and my Borinda fungosa usually becomes monstrous in that time of the year. This year, I haven't wrote about it, but I have several posts related to Borinda fungosa on my blog. I might do an update later this week about this year's growth.

BTW: It's one of the best looking bamboos. It grows extremely fast and should be excellent for British climate (wet, warm winters and cool summers). Good luck!
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Tarzanus- would you happen to know where I could track down seed of the borinda fungosa? Thanks in advance.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I have bought them from Germany in an online shop on eBay. I must say that from the same shop, Moso, chusquea culeou and another Borinda seeds were all too old and never managed to sprout, so I guess I got lucky with fungosa seeds.

I wanted to give you this link (http://bamboo-seeds-bbg.blogspot.si/), but it seems there are no Borinda, nor Fargesia bamboos on the list. There were plenty of Borinda seeds on this list some time ago though.

I also checked aliexpress and ebay and I must say, it looks like all the seeds there are fake - most likely old moso seeds. There is one shop from germany that sells them and they have similar, but not identical name like the one where I have bought the seeds. Pictures are off for fargesia and prices are waaay too high. Just if you wish to check it, it's exoticsamencom2010.

I have bought my seeds in a shop named exotic-pflanzen or something like that. Perhaps they have sold too much garbage seeds and had to rename the shop. :)

Sorry :/
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Tarzanus- thanks for taking the time to write me. Looks to me that most seeds on the blogger site can't be verified. I do know that some nigra, spectabalis, have gone to seed around here though. Nothing viable but maybe soon.

It sure would be cool to try out some of those phyllos. Spectabalis and nigra could have some really awesome babies. Maybe a new cultivar is looming.

What's your opinion on the supplier. Think its spectabalis or nigra or the Robert young?
Deane

Post by Deane »

needmore wrote:If these exist in the US they are quite uncommon so you may not get any replies from US forum members. Have you check out Kimmei.com?
New seedlings from China. Fargesias gaolinensis was discoverd by Professor Hongchao TAN near the place Gaolin County Songming in Yunnan, China on 2100 Meter .It is still waiting for a formal identification as a new species, so the improved name gaolinensis can change.
Confusion and the end of a myth: Harvested seeds of F. gaolinensis near Song Ming were named Fargesias songmingensis but they represent at most a different variety. Other local varieties that were given local names as Fargesia fungosa, F. huaningensis, F. papyrifera, F. similaris, F. songmingensis and F. yunnanensis also belong to F. gaolinensis.
Fargesia gaolinensis is clumping bamboo that is locally used in the paper industries. This vigorous growing species can easily reach 8 to 12 meters and the canes can reach a diameter of up to 2 inches, but it is limited hardy. (till about - 12 ° Celsius and not till - 25 ° Celsius as mentioned on different websites)
Fargesia gaolinensis, (picture above right and down left) seedlings of a new species. Impressive.
Height 8-12 m. sun till half shadow hardy between -8/-15°C
Fargesia albocerea 'Black' comes from two different sources are under observation. This bamboo probably represents a local variety of F. gaolinensis, with canes that can discolor to dark more easy.
Deane

Post by Deane »

needmore wrote:If these exist in the US they are quite uncommon so you may not get any replies from US forum members. Have you check out Kimmei.com?
Fargesia sp. Taibashan 2 ((picture above left and right) (Max) Collected in Taibashan. Is has broader leaves and the culms can color to purple. Strong and handsome. New Generation".
Height 2-3 m. sun till shadow hardy between -20/-25°C
-sp. Tom (=Yushania Lu ?) Interesting, very handsome species with shiny leaves. Very ornamental but not very hardy. Introduced by Kimmei.
Height 3-6 m. sun till shadow hardy between -12/-15°C
-utilis (Tung Chuan 3) This bamboo can have culms till 2,5 cm. It grows from the base in an upward curve. Narrow soft leaves.
Height 3-4 m. sun till shadow hardy between -15/-20°C
-yulongshanensis ‘Linder’ Impressive Fargesia that looks a bit like Fargesia utilis but it grows a bit more upright. The hardiness is the same as F. utilis or even a bit better.
Height 4-6 m. sun till shadow hardy between -15/-20°C
-yunnanenis.(Hsueh et Y) (Tom) Thick canes and not very hardy.(Hsueh et Y) (Tom) This is the true F. yunnanensis
Height 5-8 m. half shadow till shadow hardy between 0/-8°C
Deane

Post by Deane »

Thanks needmore it seems kimmei has them under fargesia too ,I have never know kimmei to get the name wrong
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I think he calls everything Fargesia, as if Borinda doesn't exist. If in fact they do a DNA check and all Borinda bamboos are in fact part of Fargesia clan, so be it, if not, they should clear things up at last and set things straight. My fungosa has quite persistent culm sheaths, which are longer than internodes, shoots look completely different than any Fargesia, with those extra long sheaths, they seem hollow, then when they start showing their 'hairstyle', the difference is even more pronounced. It does not look like Fargesia, it does not act as Fargesia, it is not Fargesia. My opinion.

Regarding the flowerings of Phyllos. I don't know. I have 'Spectabilis' and it did not start flowering, nor did it show any signs that it could start. Phyllostachys aureosulcata often flower for no apparent reason and gives no viable seeds. It might be just a sporadic flowering triggered by environmental factors. I would not buy such seeds. Some reported flowering, but no one confirmed viable seeds. I hope and keep my fingers crossed you can get some viable seeds.
Deane

Post by Deane »

Tarzanus wrote:I think he calls everything Fargesia, as if Borinda doesn't exist. If in fact they do a DNA check and all Borinda bamboos are in fact part of Fargesia clan, so be it, if not, they should clear things up at last and set things straight. My fungosa has quite persistent culm sheaths, which are longer than internodes, shoots look completely different than any Fargesia, with those extra long sheaths, they seem hollow, then when they start showing their 'hairstyle', the difference is even more pronounced. It does not look like Fargesia, it does not act as Fargesia, it is not Fargesia. My opinion.

Regarding the flowerings of Phyllos. I don't know. I have 'Spectabilis' and it did not start flowering, nor did it show any signs that it could start. Phyllostachys aureosulcata often flower for no apparent reason and gives no viable seeds. It might be just a sporadic flowering triggered by environmental factors. I would not buy such seeds. Some reported flowering, but no one confirmed viable seeds. I hope and keep my fingers crossed you can get some viable seeds.
Very interesting Tarzanus I am only a novice With bamboo but learning more and more ,my friends spectabilis flowered this year but not sure if any seed ,we have to contact him