Suggestions On yellow bamboo

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Deane
Location info: 0

Suggestions On yellow bamboo

Post by Deane »

I am making a intermingled bamboo bed with green black and yellow culms ,I have picked all the bamboo's except the second yellow bamboo ,the first yellow bamboo is Phyllostachys bambusoides 'Holochrysa' All gold and I am looking for suggestions on the second yellow bamboo ,I like quite thick culms and green strips , suggestions would be much appreciated and photos even better
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Suggestions On yellow bamboo

Post by Cooper12 »

im a fan of Phyllostachys vivax " Huangwenzhu inversa"

Having recently moved i just planted mine today
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

don't mind the rosemary it will come out as this future giant grows
Attachments
IMG_9031.JPG
IMG_9026.JPG
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
dependable

Post by dependable »

Or 'plain old' vivax aurocaulis. P Aureosulcata 'Spectabilis' does not get as thick, but is a very hardy, strong growing choice.
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

I do not have it but like the looks of Phyllostachys praecox virdisulcata
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
needmore

Post by needmore »

Deane wrote:I am making a intermingled bamboo bed with green black and yellow culms ,I have picked all the bamboo's except the second yellow bamboo ,the first yellow bamboo is Phyllostachys bambusoides 'Holochrysa' All gold and I am looking for suggestions on the second yellow bamboo ,I like quite thick culms and green strips , suggestions would be much appreciated and photos even better

Take the photo tour on Jos' site at kimmei.com and you'll see some options.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

Phyllostachys edulis bicolor is pretty cool. This one almost died last year on me due to lack of drainage, but it's pretty clear with the lush foliage along with clear signs of rhizome growth that it is on it's way to recovering most of it's size by next spring as long as it is protected well enough. Based on my experience, whip shoots, or rhizomes that turn upwards and stop generally indicate that there is definitely some more action going on underground especially when the culms are heavily loaded with foliage.

It's not completely hardy to zone 6 so I'm not even planning on playing around with any greenhouse covers. Tarping it straight to the ground is a safer bet.

This kind has soft velvety culms when they are still new, and as they age, they tend to feel like light sandpaper. Some of the leaves are also partially variageted, and I believe that this type should grow just fine in the UK.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

stevelau1911 wrote:Phyllostachys edulis bicolor is pretty cool. ...

This kind has soft velvety culms when they are still new, and as they age, they tend to feel like light sandpaper. Some of the leaves are also partially variageted, and I believe that this type should grow just fine in the UK.
[img]
I agree that bicolor is an interesting choice and should be OK in UK weather.
The only problem is its premium price and availability.

If I recall correctly the lack of really warm summers hampers the growth of phyllostachys somewhat so it might take a lot longer for large culms and spread.
In his "Encyclopedia of Exotic Plants for Temperate Climates" Will Giles describes the habitus of many of the large phyllos such as vivax aureocaulis as moderately spreading (this is for the UK) and when I was visiting Kew gardens earlier this year (they have quite a few bamboos there) the size of all their phyllostachys was not really impressive. I have no idea if that is because the plants are not that old, inside barriers (most are) or being cut down regularly but compared to the viridiglaucescens grove in the botanical gardens in vienna they we tiny.

While we're at it I'll hijack this thread for a question on bicolor:

My plant has real problems producing healthy leaves on new culms, the first set of leaves comes out with black streaks and wrinkles up shortly after emerging, turning into a brown mess.
I'm thinking it may be a virus but the appearance kind of reminded me of steve's bicolor after it got waterlogged.
This year will be the first year I'm overwintering the plant outside as it fared a lot better once it was planted out for summer.
I've raised the soil level and used very sandy loam/clay to ensure proper drainage. Also a large area of the soil is encased in mesh wire to keep the darned voles out.
Any suggestions what else I could do to help my bicolor along (I'll double tarp it over the winter, greenhouse is out of the question)

All the best,

Nicholas
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I don't have a bicolor cultivar, but I do have a seedling of regular Moso and I also saw similar decline. I related the damage to previous winter cold damage, because I don't think it could get waterlogged, since it's raised a bit. However, water could be the issue, because that year we have had a lot of rain during winter, spring and summer. The issue for me was limited to old culms that were damage during the winter cold. It was less apparent on the north facing side (which remained under snow and got away undamaged) and there were some culms that re-leafed in the spring, but started getting brown and stunted as soon as they branched out. They were unhealthy looking and I have decided to thin the whole culms out. New shoots leafed out normally and were healthy until the heat came, during the summer. Heat always (until this year at least, this year bamboo is a lot larger and the summer damage is almost gone, despite the drought we've had) brings some leaf damage. Like you said, damage seemed like brown streaks on somewhat pale leaves that soon start shriveling and eventually whole young branches die off.

This year, the seedling remained healthy. Dry, not too hot and extremely sunny weather was ideal for it and I'm seeing thick rhizomes all around it. It traveled more than 4 meters, as I've just seen a couple of 'dolphins' nearby. I'll have to do some serious rhizome pruning. My back hurts already. :mrgreen: