Something's digging around my bamboo

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Deane
Location info: 0

Something's digging around my bamboo

Post by Deane »

I have noticed that there has been something digging around my bamboo plants ,it has dug around my bamboos in the ground and the ones in pots but not any other plants ,there is also a couple spots dug on my grass any thoughts what it could be ?
Attachments
IMG_0263.JPG
IMG_0262.JPG
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Something's digging around my bamboo

Post by needmore »

Any nut trees in the area? Chipmonks & squirrel are the diggers in pots at my Indiana place which is full of acorns, hickory nut.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I have blackbirds regularly digging up top soil and removing any mulch I apply around my bamboos. They were not nearly as active when there were no bamboos around, they seem to love digging around them. Especially they love searching through fallen partly decomposed bamboo leaves. They stop digging when they get to the roots tho, so I'm sure they don't do any damage. They often (every year) uncover Fargesia(s) shoot buds during the winter and early spring, but they never actually harmed them.

I guess they catch all kind of insects around my bamboos, which makes them more than welcome to mess up mulch.
bamboocrib

Post by bamboocrib »

They look a bit like the work of chipmunks. I've had the same in my garden, but to be fair, not as much as you have there.

Craig