Bamboo in raised garden/container during winter (USDA 8/9) ?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Norwegianguy
Location info: 0

Bamboo in raised garden/container during winter (USDA 8/9) ?

Post by Norwegianguy »

Hi guys. Im new to the forum and a beginner when it comes to gardening and growing bamboo.
Also, english is my second/third language but I hope that at least some of you understand what I'm writing :-) I´ll try to stick to google translate ;-)

I live in the southern part of Norway, USDA winter zone 8/9. The winter usually last from late november - march. The summer usually averages around 77F. This year the first snow came early november and I'm concerned for my Fargesia murialae (http://www.bamboogarden.com/Fargesia%20murielae.htm)

We built a raised garden/container this summer, 13ft x 1.65 x 1.65. Insulatet and drilled holes for excess water. The bottom 4 inches are hydro granules. Its probably easier to look at the pictures I attached :-)
The bamboo is planted 12 inches apart and it looks like it is thriving. Some parts grew 12 inches in just two weeks. So it has grown into a nice privacy screen with the tallest parts beeing approximately 5 feet.

However, I have noticed that the bamboo is showing signs of damage and leaf curl. I have tried to insulate the container by shoveling snow at the base so the wind gust doesnt decrease the temperature even more.

Should I be worried about the leaf curl? Or is it normal for this type of bamboo during the winter? This week the temperature will be between 31 and 45F, so a bit warmer from last weeks 17.5F.
And, should I do something to keep the soil free of snow and water?
2016-05-12 20.42.20.jpg
2016-06-30 17.23.52-1.jpg
2016-11-13 14.39.24.jpg
Last edited by Norwegianguy on Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Bamboo in raised garden/container during winter (USDA 8/

Post by needmore »

Greetings, I am surprised at how mild the temperature in southern Norway is. Is there any chance that the soil froze and is still frozen? Bamboo leaves will curl if the soil is frozen and the sun is shining on it. If the soil is not frozen I would next wonder if the soil is too wet?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Norwegianguy

Post by Norwegianguy »

The top two inches is moist, not wet. But under the top soil it felt frozen.. the current temperature is 37.5 so it might thaw. I think it is safe to say that the soil will be frozen several times between now and march.. do you think the bamboo will survive the winter? Anything to do about it?☃️
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Will the soil likely remain frozen all winter?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I have a couple of bamboos in their pots and even the largest ones cool down much faster than ground. The not so hardy bamboos will curl in wind and sun after a cold night and will only like it when there's for or rain drizzle. Winter is much more of a problem for potted plants than plants grown in the ground.

When soil warms up and weather remains above ~4°C for a few days, even the less hardy bamboos stop showing signs of dehydration.
Norwegianguy

Post by Norwegianguy »

The winter in this part of Norway is unpredictable.. It can be cold for a few weeks before it gets "warm" for a couple of days. Right now it is 44.5F at 23:00. But what can I do during the cold periods? Try to insulate with dead leaves or something else? :-)
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

In this climate where Fargesias do very well I don't think any would survive in a planter that small. The styrofoam you have would be sufficient protection in a climate such as Z7b but not for here. A greater volume of soil (here = a huge planter) is better insulation, cold can still infiltrate from the top down. A container sitting directly on the ground is far safer than one with air beneath. Automatic irrigation would be a necessity as keepiong such a contaoner moist woulkd be extremely difficult.

Then again you are in a milder part of Norway, just watch the moisture level as roots fill the entire container. I've been to Bergen and Tromso and the former is incredibly mild with Monkey Puzzle trees and Tromso (far north of the Arctic Circle) is not that cold and has good deep snow cover and one of the most exciting Botanic Gardens I've ever visited.

john
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I+m not sure about Fargesia and what actually happens when the soil freezes. Once these last winters, we've had a case when at least 50cm of top soil was frozen solid, somewhere even as deep as 1m. I don't know if the roots (F. rufa) got frozen or not, but despite the cold, there was not a lot of damage on the bamboo. Some of the culms were completely dry, some leaves fell off and in the spring, the plant quickly recovered.

I think the problem occurs when the soil that is frozen solid thaws, and then freezes again, and... The worst thing that can happen in my oppinion is a hard freeze after a lot of rain.The raised bed or pot becomes saturated and damaged roots easily catch root rot. I've lost quite a few well established bamboo seedlings that way.
Norwegianguy

Post by Norwegianguy »

The soil has never been saturated with water, 1/4 av the container is hydro granules and Ive drilled holes on the side of the container if it really rains over long periods. The bamboo has been in the ground the last three years and the roots is frozen a couple of weeks every winter.. i just have to cross my fingers I guess.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

I don't have anything to add to the discussion except to say that the planter looks very nice with the bamboo -- you've done a good job there. :)