Cute little guy but might be a problem

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Bruce-FTC
Location info: 0

Cute little guy but might be a problem

Post by Bruce-FTC »

Hi All,

This morning while sipping a cup of coffee and looking over my bamboo, I noticed this cute little guy nestled into the Golden Crookstem bamboo.

He let me get up quite close, and at this point my i-phone clearly had his full attention. It was only about 3 feet away when I snapped this pic.

We had noticed him about 8 weeks ago, and since I'd noticed atypical bird poop under the bamboo in previous weeks, I'd wondered if he might have taken up residence. This pic from Sept. gives a better idea about his size.

So, now it seems that he has either taken up residence in my little bamboo patch, or at least has made it an occasional spot for a daytime snooze. That could be a problem. This is Thanksgiving week, and I usually cover the bamboo patch with plastic on Thanksgiving weekend. This guy is pretty little. Maybe 6 inches from head to foot. So, I'm a little worried about how to make sure he's not still hiding somewhere when I start strapping down the bamboo to put it to bed for the winter. My patch is starting to get pretty thick, and it's hard to really inspect everywhere. Earlier this summer the kids volleyball got stuck in there, and despite several attempts, I didn't find it until weeks later. I've got to make sure this guy is not visiting when I start strapping things down. I don't want him to get smooshed, or stuck under the plastic.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Have you encountered owls in bamboo before?

By any chance does anyone know what kind of owl this might be? I'm not sure if he's a baby or full grown. Would he have a nest, or is his home in a hollow tree somewhere? I don't see a nest, but.....maybe I'm just not looking in the right spot.

Thanks,
Bruce
Bruce in Fort Collins, CO Zone 5B
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Cute little guy but might be a problem

Post by needmore »

I don't know owls very well but try Googling Saw Whet or Screech?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I also noticed that this year, my bamboos became large enough to host incredible numbers of birds. In my Spectabilis, there are like hundred of sparrows. They stay in there (at least some of them, way too thick canopy to see inside, I only see them flying out when I scare them) during the night and during rain. Blackbirds that are scouting around my bamboos for insects and worms, like to stay in my Moso. Perhaps sparrows claimed the larger grove for themselves and do not let other birds in.

When sparrows start fighting, whole bamboo starts moving. And the noise they make, every evening... :mrgreen:

Not sure about owl, but I think it gets those ears with maturity. I'd guess it's at least one year old. Owls usually don't build nests themselves, but will rather use abandoned nest of other birds. They do nest in tree canopy, I'm sure bamboo qualifies as good nesting place.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Friend nearby has a resident Great Horned Owl in her maple.
Attachments
Great Horned Owl Hfx. IMG_5267.jpg
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
dependable

Post by dependable »

Ha, first I just saw the crow, thinkin JohnW is messing with us. Crows and owls are supposed to be mortal enemies. Massed crows have been known to kill owls flushed in daytime by well meaning birders. And great horned owls have been known to fatally attack crow roosts at night, at least according to local bird expert.

I view any owls in yard as a positive thing, especially since we have rats around.
tomgun

Post by tomgun »

Every robin in my county roosts in the bamboo in my backyard. It makes me stop working back there when it gets to dusk because I feel bad when I hear them spook and fly away - to roost god knows where. The bamboo is so thick they are safe from owls.
To locals: If there is something in the Trade column of my plant list you want a start for, I root-prune every so often to control the bamboo in my limited space. You are welcome to any starts for free, no trading. Let me know and come get it if it's available. Pick up only.
needmore

Post by needmore »

tomgun wrote:Every robin in my county roosts in the bamboo in my backyard. It makes me stop working back there when it gets to dusk because I feel bad when I hear them spook and fly away - to roost god knows where. The bamboo is so thick they are safe from owls.

Same thing at my place in Indiana - crazy amount of Robins in the Yellow Groove and you walk by there in the wee hours and it gets loud fast!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

Cardinals were also attracted to the bamboo here.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

In winter it's the smaller birds that seem to love my one grove the most: sparrows, juncos, etc. all head in there for the night (I think). Perhaps because I haven't thinned that grove much?