Introducing myself

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

thebambooguy
Location info: 0

Introducing myself

Post by thebambooguy »

hello everyone!

Although I have commented on a couple of posts I haven't actually introduced myself so let me start with a little about my background.
I have always had a fascination with tropical plants as far back as I can remember;
and always wanted to go visit a jungle and loose myself in all its breath taking beauty (not literally)
As years went on I collected more plants, coffee, date palms, coconut palms to name a few but the feeling of wanting to immerse myself in a foreign far off jungle never really went away.
I was still in school and my family not wealthy enough to go on any such trips I decided I would try to bring it to me.
This is where my love for bamboo began!

My first bamboo I bought was Phyllostachys Nigra.
I didn't really know anything about bamboo at that time, but figured my experience growing other plants and gardening would see me through and that I would learn along the way.
Unfortunately that growing season was Fraught with failures as the new culms that the plant had grown were snapped by strong wind.
Later that year I accidentally chopped off most if not all the rhizomes that it had sent out and the plant did very poorly for a couple years.
Eventually it sent out two new culms taller then myself and my spirit was rejuvenated.
Later that month I order Phyllostachys Vivax Aureocaulis and then this past year I added Phyllostachys nuda, Phyllostachys nigra Henon, and Semiarundinaria fastuosa.

I am eager to learn and interact with the forums and everyone on it, cheers!
wolfedg

Re: Introducing myself

Post by wolfedg »

Welcome to the club. What got me started was my never ending search for tropical looking evergreen plants that can survive my climate. Ive always liked bamboo as a plant and I even was very fond of a somewhat lookalike plant as a kid that grew down by the creek beds and was generally green even in winter (equisetum hyemale). Looking back it really surprises me how long it took for me to find out that I could grow bamboo here in southern Missouri. In fact I didn't even notice places it should've stood out like a sore thumb like at the Springfield zoo where there is even a small grove with a tunnel you can walk through. Anymore it seems like bamboo patches have neon signs above them as I generally see them from a mile away.
Visit my new blog Wolf's Gardens, Games, and other Getaways
https://wolfedg.blogspot.com/
thebambooguy

Post by thebambooguy »

Thanks for the welcoming! Southern Missouri you say, I imagine you can grow quite a variety in bamboo. I live up in Canada so I can only really grow phyllostachys to get the size that I want; even then I would be lucky to get half the max height of them.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Welcome also from the east coast. If you can grow P nigra, and vivax, you should easily be able to grow the P aureosulcata varieties. There are some good choices there, and they are pretty hardy. P rubromarginata is a nice choice too.
wolfedg

Post by wolfedg »

thebambooguy wrote:Thanks for the welcoming! Southern Missouri you say, I imagine you can grow quite a variety in bamboo. I live up in Canada so I can only really grow phyllostachys to get the size that I want; even then I would be lucky to get half the max height of them.
While latitude certainly isn't everything, it does help :). If i were only 250mi south of here it would be perfect for the temperate varieties.
Visit my new blog Wolf's Gardens, Games, and other Getaways
https://wolfedg.blogspot.com/
thebambooguy

Post by thebambooguy »

dependable wrote:Welcome also from the east coast. If you can grow P nigra, and vivax, you should easily be able to grow the P aureosulcata varieties. There are some good choices there, and they are pretty hardy. P rubromarginata is a nice choice too.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to add these to my list. I just recently bought P bissetii, P Dulcis, and Fargesia robusta.