Introducing myself - paint help?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

benjamin74
Location info: 0

Introducing myself - paint help?

Post by benjamin74 »

Hello all,

It is nice to find this site & forum and I hope somebody can help me with some advice.

I am an Englishman, but been living in Indonesia for 13 years now. Married and with two great kids. I am a teacher by trade but working part-time at the moment as I am finishing my MA degree.

So, I have experimented a little with bamboo over the years - nothing huge, but mainly trying to use it as an alternative material for things. For example, I built a small garden for planting and used bamboo for the outline.

Anyway, I have a small project on and need some advice with regards to painting. I am splitting the bamboo in half and removing the nodes from inside. Then, I am polishing down the middle. I want to paint the outside but leaving the wax on, and also paint the inner as well. Any suggestions? It will be used with high traffic - lots of use (my sone is going to roll things down it - so, I am guessing some type of high-gloss paint will do. I want the paint to stay on after extended use and not chip and fall off. I have also looked 'court' paint and thought about spray paint as well.

I'm pretty new to this, so any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance & I hope to check back soon!

Cheers,

Ben
dependable

Re: Introducing myself - paint help?

Post by dependable »

I think some kinds of shellac were traditionally used to paint bamboo products.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Introducing myself - paint help?

Post by needmore »

Welcome, I believe that there is a good post on this site from Roy Rogers regarding painting bamboo, I'd suggest that you use the search function to try and find it.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com