Dendrocalamus sp. 'Parker's Giant' flowering

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

shuboo
Location info: 0

Re: Dendrocalamus sp. 'Parker's Giant' flowering

Post by shuboo »

Nice Brad. That species does well in containers. Very prolific shooters. Same with B. Emeiensis 'flavidovirens' and 'viridiflavus'. Check those out, if you haven't already. Bigger than B. Eutoldoides but still quick to size up. Great bamboos to grown in a large container
-shu
Bamboo Conne'isseur

Post by Bamboo Conne'isseur »

Here is my Parker. Just starting to look good.
Attachments
IMG_0230.JPG
IMG_0229.JPG
IMG_0228.JPG
Aaron
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Yours looks identical to mine, that would have been really nice there but it's future is bleak, too bad.

I have to assume that we'll get into the 20's every winter, last year 29F was the low but we'll go lower so I'm trying the hardier forms. Next I want D minor 'Amoenus' and B chungii plus those you listed.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Bamboo Conne'isseur

Post by Bamboo Conne'isseur »

I agree, it is disappointing. I thought ours looked about the same in size. I planted that in a somewhat shady place, in hopes to maximize its size potential. I can't complain too bad though. I feel sorry for the guys who just reached 5 in culms to have this happen. I have been wanting this variety for 9+ years. Then I put it in the ground last year, and now this. :roll:

Those Bambusa are impressive with their growth. D. minor "amoenus" sized up quicker than almost every other bamboo I have grown. I had 2.5 in culms in 3 years from a 3 gallon. Very beautiful and impressive bamboo. Only issue I have with it is it has very thin walls, making it prone to snapping in strong winds. I had to remove large broken canes every year from the clump as a result. I think it does best under a canopy, and protected from these winds. It does like rich soil, and will not look as good if the soil is poor and not amended. It also loves water, and it can tolerate a lot.

B. Chungii I am growing for the first time. I have five of them planted in a line by the front entrance to my property, and one in between the trees on the other side. I hope to create a chungii tunnel, which the culms towering over, and some arching over the drive in that area. They are still somewhat small. Both of these will laugh at your cold weather.
Aaron
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Mine still not flowering yet and spending lots of energy on this shoot, the other shoot appears to be an aborted one.

parker.JPG
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
shuboo

Post by shuboo »

Mine still looks good. New growth on the new shoot. Irma kinda beat the hell out of the existing leaves but lots of new branches and leaves on the new shoot. I'm pretty optimistic that our Parkers are going to be fine
-shu
cnibert

Post by cnibert »

Any recent news on Parker Giants? I think mine is dead since it hasn't had leaves in months. Did anyone get new growth after theirs completely lost leaves?

Chad Nibert
Palm Bay
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

No leaves on reg. culms but have new seed branch growth.
MarCat