Nuda with yellow canes.

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

mikes
Location info: 0

Nuda with yellow canes.

Post by mikes »

I just received ten nuda plants and I'm a little concerned that all the plants have yellow canes. Theplants are also completly covered in some kind of black fungus or mold. I called the vendor and was told all bamboo yellows in the sun. I'm a little worried that I've been taken and that these are not healthy plants. I can post better pictures tomorrow.
IMG_4211.jpeg
IMG_4213.jpeg
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Nuda with yellow canes.

Post by needmore »

Greetings, yes, essentially all Phyllostachys green forms will yellow in sun with time, I suspect that you obtained these from a grower in the SE US or somewhere with high humidity? If so, that would explain the fungus as I always had it in Indiana, it will wipe off.

Not much to see in your photos but are there new leaves sprouting?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Fungus is quite normal. There are years when we have a lot of rain and all the culms become gray-ish. I have noticed I have culms that are completely green due to algae growth on the north side of the grove and gray on the southern side. I hosed thoroughly the whole thing with water and I almost completely removed it.
mikes

Post by mikes »

Thanks for the responses. The black spots covering the canes and leaves does not rub or wipe off. I can't see any noticeable new leaves. Out of ten plants two have new shoots about the width of a pencil lead. I will post better pics when the sun gets. a little higher.
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

I had similar look with a few I got out of the South from a vendor. The first 2 look very good two years later. Phyllostachys parvifolia and lithophila. My Mejiro from last year burned pretty bad but is starting to push new shoots. so i am hopeful for this one as well. First two had yellow culms and looked somewhat burned when I got them. The pics that I can see of yours look better than what I started with so I think you will be fine.
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
mikes

Post by mikes »

After researching it a bit I have no doubt they will be fine in a few years. My big concern is I paid a premium (over double than from another source) for plants that were supposed to have been grown in nursery pots with 3 gallon size roots. To me it looks like what I received was dug up from full clay right before shipping. I paid considerably more for these than from other sources because I need a quicker start.

Here's a picture of the biggest root of the plants. The dark coloration is from my compost, what arrived was solid blocks of red clay with no visible roots each about one to three inches in depth. I'm trying to figure out if I'm right to be upset that the roots are not as I expected.
IMG_4219.jpeg
IMG_4222.jpeg
needmore

Post by needmore »

I'm not sure exactly what you were told but when I buy bamboo mail order I always tell the vendor that I only want something that has been container grown for more than a full year and has established in the pots since dividing - especially in a climate such as yours. If that vendor can not assure me that is what they'll send I pass and try another vendor. Had I done that and yours arrived I'd be less than satisfied. You should have been able to obtain a plant with visible rhizome growth since being divided - I see no signs of that in your photo - in a 3 gal pot for $40 ish.

We try not to flame vendors publicly here and sometimes 'stuff happens' with a plant you received, if you want to PM me I'd be curious to learn more about your purchase.

PS - I would go for Bissetii not Nuda in your area it will do much better in the initial years.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
mikes

Post by mikes »

I sent you a pm. Your thoughts as to what you would expect mirror what I was thinking and I was looking for conformation on that. I think I will contact the vendor and see if we can work something out. Barring that I will go elsewhere and see if I can recover any of the money. I'm about 45 minutes from Burton Bamboo and spoke with them last year. I might try and setup a time to drive out there and pick up some plants if they have any. There's another grower about the same distance in the opposite direction. I mail ordered plants as I was trying to trade money for time since I have a crazy schedule but I could drive out somewhere this weekend to get plants if I need to.