Phyllostachys pingyangensis Information and pictures

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Deane
Location info: 0

Phyllostachys pingyangensis Information and pictures

Post by Deane »

I am not sure why but I can’t find any information or pictures on Phyllostachys pingyangensis, been thought my books on internet but nothing, am I missing something like has different name now
Glen

Re: Phyllostachys pingyangensis Information and pictures

Post by Glen »

According to the Flora of China, Phyllostachys pinyanensis is a synonym of P. reticulata, the name they are using for what is commonly called P. bambusoides.
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx? ... =250071004

According to The Bamboos of the World, "pinyanensis" is an incorrect way of writing "pingyangensis".

This would mean that "Phyllostachys pingyangensis" is really just another name for P. bambusoides. Perhaps that explains why there is not much information to be found when researching this name...it is just another name for a pretty common plant.

I suspect this name was used for a particular clone or group of clones from the Pingyang region of China. Whether these plants are distinguishable from common forms of P. bambusoides, I have no idea.

Many times, distinctive forms of bamboos are traded under taxonomically questionable names. "Phyllostachys lithophila" is probably just an invalid name for a hardy, vigorous form of P. bambusoides (reticulata) that does not get as large as more widely grown forms.
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

lithophila also has a heavier thicker more paper feeling leaf than bambusoides
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
Deane

Post by Deane »

Thanks Gen and Jason I messaged Audrey and Annie because they also sell bambusoides and it seem strange to sell the same bamboo under two different names https://www.creapaysage.com/fr/bambou-d ... ensis.html
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

I have not heard of pingyangensis so I am not sure what that one is :D
I just know my lithophila seems quite different than bambusoides though Glen may be correct in that its possibly a cultivar.
I am not sure on that.
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
Glen

Post by Glen »

Deane wrote:Thanks Gen and Jason I messaged Audrey and Annie because they also sell bambusoides and it seem strange to sell the same bamboo under two different names https://www.creapaysage.com/fr/bambou-d ... ensis.html
A lot of confusion often results when trying to resolve horticulture and taxonomy. To say that two plants are taxonomically considered the same species in no way implies that they are the "same bamboo". The plants being sold as Phyllostachys pingyangensis may in fact be horticulturally distinct, while at the same time, they may not be recognized taxonomically as distinct entities. If the plants in question are indeed somewhat distinct from the typical P. bambusoides (reticulata) forms, it would probably be best to name them with a cultivar name like P. bambusoides 'Pingyangensis'.

An example to clarify: If you were to germinate ten Morus alba (white mulberry) seeds, and one seedling had a weeping growth form, while the other seedlings were typical upright plants, you would not say that you had a new and different species of mulberry. While the weeping tree would have a growth form completely different from the other members of its cohort, its taxonomic characteristics would still make it a white mulberry. In order to follow the rules of taxonomy, you could call it Morus alba 'Pendula', to indicate its unique horticultural attributes.

Having said all this...in the United States, there are well known examples of bamboos being sold under different names, and at different prices, when it is STRONGLY suspected that they are the same exact clone. Whether nurseries really believe the plants to be different clones, or whether they are just providing the customer with what they want, is anyone's guess. Perhaps the plants are indeed different clones. All this just adds to the adventure of growing bamboo :).
Glen

Post by Glen »

Cooper12 wrote:I have not heard of pingyangensis so I am not sure what that one is :D
I just know my lithophila seems quite different than bambusoides though Glen may be correct in that its possibly a cultivar.
I am not sure on that.
I am pretty curious about "P. lithophila". I really like P. bambusoides, but it is just too temperamental for me. I had some that got pretty large, but a few drought years almost killed the whole grove. So far, my P. lithophila plant, while still small, seems to have more tolerance of adversity. Vegetatively, I think it looks like P. bambusoides, but I may change my mind when it gets larger. The images of P. lithophila shoots that I have seen do seem to be completely consistent with P. bambusoides.

For the time being, my poorly informed opinion is that P. lithophila is a different clone than the plants commonly sold as P. bambusoides, but that they do properly belong to the same taxon, whatever it is called (P. bambusoides or P. reticulata).
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

maybe its just my plant but my lithophila does seem to be pretty tough as far as drought goes. I am hopeful it with get to a large diameter here.
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Litho is tough but no where near height of bambusa's I am growing. I like the big boys - mine are at 65ft despite gophers, slope, and drought. RGds
Glen

Post by Glen »

fredgpops wrote:Litho is tough but no where near height of bambusa's I am growing. I like the big boys - mine are at 65ft despite gophers, slope, and drought. RGds
Do you have to give your Bambusa plants supplemental water during the summer in order to achieve those results? Also, which species perform best for you, and what are the coldest temperatures you see in your area?
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

My largest plants are Madake - Phy. bambusoides. When young, I added a lot of mulch (wood chips and garden fines) every year plus added a layer of steer manure every couple of years. I planted with wire baskets around the root balls to ward off gophers. Once mature, I don't do anything special including summer watering. I have lots of land so control is not an issue. This is not a species to plant unless you have lots of land. RGds
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

We had 18 Monday am and 16 Tuesday am. Looking forward to seeing what of my marginal bamboo has issues
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
Deane

Post by Deane »

Glen wrote:
Deane wrote:Thanks Gen and Jason I messaged Audrey and Annie because they also sell bambusoides and it seem strange to sell the same bamboo under two different names https://www.creapaysage.com/fr/bambou-d ... ensis.html
A lot of confusion often results when trying to resolve horticulture and taxonomy. To say that two plants are taxonomically considered the same species in no way implies that they are the "same bamboo". The plants being sold as Phyllostachys pingyangensis may in fact be horticulturally distinct, while at the same time, they may not be recognized taxonomically as distinct entities. If the plants in question are indeed somewhat distinct from the typical P. bambusoides (reticulata) forms, it would probably be best to name them with a cultivar name like P. bambusoides 'Pingyangensis'.

An example to clarify: If you were to germinate ten Morus alba (white mulberry) seeds, and one seedling had a weeping growth form, while the other seedlings were typical upright plants, you would not say that you had a new and different species of mulberry. While the weeping tree would have a growth form completely different from the other members of its cohort, its taxonomic characteristics would still make it a white mulberry. In order to follow the rules of taxonomy, you could call it Morus alba 'Pendula', to indicate its unique horticultural attributes.

Having said all this...in the United States, there are well known examples of bamboos being sold under different names, and at different prices, when it is STRONGLY suspected that they are the same exact clone. Whether nurseries really believe the plants to be different clones, or whether they are just providing the customer with what they want, is anyone's guess. Perhaps the plants are indeed different clones. All this just adds to the adventure of growing bamboo :).
Thanks glen that has gave me a much better insight to how it works , after talking to two French bamboo experts who are convinced it’s different from bambusoides but don’t rule out bambusoides ‘pingyangensis ‘ so I can now see it’s not clear cut when it comes to bamboos, hopefully one of my friends who is exploring china’s bamboos will get a picture of mature pingyangensis, I don’t know much about lithophila but Paul Whittaker listed it in his book hardy bamboos taming the dragon
needmore

Post by needmore »

I believe Jos has called Phy lithophylla Shanghai 2. David in TN has a really nice grove of it and I think he can not consider growing Phy bambusoides there unless this is an extremely hardy form of it.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Glen

Post by Glen »

needmore wrote:...unless this is an extremely hardy form of it.
I suspect this is the case. Phyllostachys bambusoides 'Slender Crookstem' is another clone that is said to be significantly hardier than the "normal" form of P. bambusoides, so it is already established that P. bambusoides clones do vary considerably in cold hardiness.