Urine for Bamboo

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

watchnerd
Location info: 0

Urine for Bamboo

Post by watchnerd »

Has anybody tried using human urine as fertilizer for your bamboos?

I've been dumping some on my b. oldhamii that is growing in a big planter and it seems to be having a positive effect.
David
San Francisco Bay Area
My zone info
My blog: Modernist Gardening
moriphen
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Re: Urine for Bamboo

Post by moriphen »

Its a good fertilizer, just make sure you dilute it 8:1 in a water solution to keep the sodium chloride and nitrogen from burning the plants roots.

M
M
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

I've also heard you need to use it when fresh, within 24 hours.

Is that true?
David
San Francisco Bay Area
My zone info
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

watchnerd wrote:I've also heard you need to use it when fresh, within 24 hours.

Is that true?
I have heard that as well, and have also heard that it helps keep critters away like deer and rabbits. Urine is a great nitrogen fertilizer!
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Well, I'm on day two of 'donating' my urine to the bamboos and haven't noticed any ill effects yet. They seem to be a bit perkier, but this could also be due to the rain the last two days. But there are enough scientific studies about urine as fertilizer that I don't have to doubt the theory.

I've moved up to a 64 oz bottle that I keep below the sink in my bathroom. I'm only diluting the urine with water by 50%, which is probably too strong for seedlings, but I'm only using it on 3-5 year old plants.
David
San Francisco Bay Area
My zone info
Matt W
Location info: 91

Post by Matt W »

Another step further http://humanurehandbook.com/manual.html
matt
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Well, I don't think I can go that far. At least not without getting divorced.... :P
David
San Francisco Bay Area
My zone info
Matt W

Post by Matt W »

It's really a nice thing. When my shop was built in 2001 I couldn't get a permit for conventional septic due to the rocky ground. While researching commercial composting toilets I stumbled on the humanure handbook and decided to try it. Commercial composting toilets seemed somewhat pricey to me. I've been very pleased with the system. In my situation it gets only occasional use, but it is handy sometimes, like when I have shop visitors. I guarantee there is no smell. I didn't believe, so I worked a small muffin fan to the outside into my design but found it wasn't needed. If you have a shop or garage give it a try. With only occasional use the volume is small. I dump it behind a big rock and save for plants that need a boost.
Matt
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Matt W wrote:... I dump it behind a big rock and save for plants that need a boost.
Matt
That must be a big rock to keep the neighbors from seeing you 'dumping' it there.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Matt W

Post by Matt W »

:lol: Yeah, I have rocks that big! And growing bamboo I will enjoy even more privacy. :)
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Remember a dogs urine is not htat different from human. And where a dog continues to pee it burns plants. Moderation the rule of the universe.
MarCat
Let's all have a beer and p... on a boo.
Mackel in DFW

Post by Mackel in DFW »

Funny thing Marcat, I lay down compost on the lawn twice a year, and this fall I decided to seed the lawn with perennial rye while spreading the compost. Where the dog likes to pee, usually next to a tree or bamboo plant, the rye is much more lush.... Don't know if the compost acts as a buffer to mellow out the pee or not, but it's very obvious where the dog pees, the grass is twice as high.

I peed on my black bamboo all last year, and despite the salt which is supposed to burn black bamboo especially in alkaline soil, it thrived, so go figure. I think pee burns plants when the soil is dry and not much organic material to buffer it's strength, in conclusion.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

My dog maintains a burned section in a patch of Shibataea, I've tried to trim it out but he just moves in closer. I think it is harmful to hit the same foliage daily but probably beneficial to move it around directly on the ground.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Well, in my case, I'm not whizzing directly on the bamboo, but peeing in a jug in the bathroom in the house, then coming out and systematically pouring it on and around the base of the plants. I haven't dumped any directly on the foliage itself.

It's the rainy time of year, so the soil is pretty moist, and I have a bit of mulch on top, so things are probably a bit protected. Also, these are plants in the 3-5 year age range.

So far, I haven't noticed any ill effects, including with the potted bamboo. Maybe I have weak urine? :oops: :?
David
San Francisco Bay Area
My zone info
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

that could be true, you may be drinking too many liquids, so urine is already diluted and weak. Don't drink more than 2 cups of liquid in a day, so that the urine will be highly concentrated. That will be good for the boo, but bad for you.