Bambusa Emeiensis V & Emeiensis F: Any Experience?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

ZZZ
Location info: 0

Bambusa Emeiensis V & Emeiensis F: Any Experience?

Post by ZZZ »

Hello:

In my quest to plant something unusual--something that you wouldn't see for sale in your garden variety box store--I have opted for the B. Emeiensis Flavorividens and B. Emeiensis Viridiflavus to go along with the rest of my property line exotic bamboo species. I note that a google search yields precious few photos of mature examples of these two...and even less information. (It appears that all the bamboo dealers use the same 2 or 3 descriptive sentences for each.)

My question: Should I expect that each of these bamboo species will provide a thick, 8' diameter clump when mature? I have a Ventricosa that I planted from a 30gal container @5 years back that is now a clump 12' in diameter; I am not expecting quite such a thick clump from these B. Emeiensis examples, but I only see small examples online.

Question #2: Do these B. Emeiensis varieties only send up new culms in the late summer/fall? Both my Lako and Chungii have already sent up multiple culms this year, but nothing from my aforementioned Emeiensis V & F. I did read online somewhere that they only send up shoots late in the year "in their natural environment." Here in zone 10a should I not expect much activity on these until September or so?

Thanks
Glen

Re: Bambusa Emeiensis V & Emeiensis F: Any Experience?

Post by Glen »

ZZZ wrote:My question: Should I expect that each of these bamboo species will provide a thick, 8' diameter clump when mature? I have a Ventricosa that I planted from a 30gal container @5 years back that is now a clump 12' in diameter; I am not expecting quite such a thick clump from these B. Emeiensis examples, but I only see small examples online.
Their stature when mature is something like B. textilis, quite upright, but perhaps somewhat less graceful. They do not have the broad, spreading form of B. ventricosa.
ZZZ wrote:Question #2: Do these B. Emeiensis varieties only send up new culms in the late summer/fall? Both my Lako and Chungii have already sent up multiple culms this year, but nothing from my aforementioned Emeiensis V & F. I did read online somewhere that they only send up shoots late in the year "in their natural environment." Here in zone 10a should I not expect much activity on these until September or so?
In my area, they shoot after B. chungii (which is starting now), but before full sized B. textilis forms (not yet started). I expect to see shoots in the next few weeks.
ZZZ

Post by ZZZ »

Thanks Glen--

I don't have a B. Textilis though I see many examples online ranging from relatively thin, whispy culms to thick, wide clumps. At 5+ years down the road, can I expect the 25gal B. Emeiensis V & F that I planted last season to grow tight enough that one cannot see through the clump?
Glen

Post by Glen »

ZZZ wrote:Thanks Glen--

I don't have a B. Textilis though I see many examples online ranging from relatively thin, whispy culms to thick, wide clumps. At 5+ years down the road, can I expect the 25gal B. Emeiensis V & F that I planted last season to grow tight enough that one cannot see through the clump?
I have one that has been in the ground for three years, and I can not see much through it. It has experienced a couple bad freezes and floods in that time. In your area, I would think it should grow much faster. However, they tend to not have much low foliage when they get large, so you may be able to see a little light between the culms. If the clump is surrounded by shade, it will have fewer low branches. I think of this species as more of a specimen plant than a screening variety.

Maybe these will answer your questions:
http://www.bambootexas.com/plants-avail ... idorivens/
http://www.bambootexas.com/plants-avail ... idiflavus/
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

I have both in N. California. I have transplanted both to get them more sun. Growth since transplant has been quite good. My plants shoot late fall and early winter with smaller shoots in off seasons. They have not been effected much by temps close to 30F. Beautiful plants. Just gave them a combo of mulch and mushroom compost and they seem very happy. RGds