Phyllostachys pubescens 'Okina'

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Tarzanus
Location info: 0

Phyllostachys pubescens 'Okina'

Post by Tarzanus »

Does anyone own it or know how it grows? I have a seedling with similar growing pattern, but the first leaves which are completely yellow or have only minimal 'trace amounts' of green in them start browning quickly. It looks darn pretty for like a month and then the leaves start drying. The less green in them, more prone to leaf damage they are. I've seen similar damage on Hibanobambusa tranquillans 'Shiroshima' leaves that lack green pigmentation. Are first Okina leaves similar and start showing damage in about a month or so?

Ps: after a month, new leaves start forming with more (and more) chlorophyll in them, so the seedlings I have change from yelllow to lime green and then stabilises into variegated green-yellow combination.
I read that Okina makes similar transition each spring (new shoots), turning from white to green.
iain

Re: Phyllostachys pubescens 'Okina'

Post by iain »

I had two H. tranquillans 'Shiroshima' plants in separate seed trays outside. One was predominantly green and the other variegated. The leaves on the variegated were completely wiped out. I'm hoping the rhizomes are ok.
Boohoo?
Tarzanus

Re: Phyllostachys pubescens 'Okina'

Post by Tarzanus »

I don't know how to resolve the issue. Both bamboos seem like they would have serious Ca deficiency, but it is unlikely they do. Shiroshima does the same, but not as much, possibly because it's much more shaded.

I will fertilize them, spray with anti fungal pesticide and hope it starts recovering. New leaves will become darker soon as well, so it might recover by itself.

I think browning of leaves is direct result of full sun exposure. I would like to find out how to, if possible, remedy the situation. If it is deficiency related, caused by fast growth during spring, issue should start fading away when bamboo establishes enough. If it's strong light that damages the yellow leaves, I'll have to place them into a more sgaded position, perhaps even full shade. It could be that low pigment leaves just wear out way sooner in any condition. If it started due to mite infection, it should also go away when the tiny vermin bites the dust.

I wonder about Okina, because it might show the same symptoms with such small amounts of pigment during the spring. If it also looses foliage soon after branching out, I can't do much about it.