I just love this timber bamboo
Attachments
93B62A6E-F0A0-4C5D-924F-AF1AB4407AD4.jpeg
7B5064CB-7C20-4D04-9F4F-39063797346F.jpeg
Van-isle-bamboo
Location info: 0

Re: The Beauty Phyllostachys huangwenzhu Inversa

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Me too. Such a great color. Gets huge too.
Tyke-A

Post by Tyke-A »

Its one of my favorites as well. Mine turns red quickly with the strong sun light here so I don't get to enjoy the fine stripes for long. Mine does put out a few green culms with yellow sulcus so its a nice mix.
Deane

Post by Deane »

Tyke-A wrote:Its one of my favorites as well. Mine turns red quickly with the strong sun light here so I don't get to enjoy the fine stripes for long. Mine does put out a few green culms with yellow sulcus so its a nice mix.
They look really good with huangwenzhu mixed in, do you have any photos of yours?
iain

Post by iain »

I hope my Ph. huangwenzhu will sport some yellow culms. Only 3 new culms this year and a slight upsize. I have had to stake after the winter, too.
Boohoo?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

iain wrote:I hope my Ph. huangwenzhu will sport some yellow culms. Only 3 new culms this year and a slight upsize. I have had to stake after the winter, too.
I'm not so sure huangwenzhu will easily sport huangwenzhu inversa.

What I do know is that vivax aureocaulis does tend to sport all the other forms here and there (i.e. plain green vivax, vivax huangwenzhu and huangwenzhu inversa)
Tyke-A

Post by Tyke-A »

I'll try to get some photos this week end. I got mixed up when I said mine was throwing green with yellow culms. It was my Harbin Inversa that is doing that.
Deane

Post by Deane »

Nicholas wrote:
iain wrote:I hope my Ph. huangwenzhu will sport some yellow culms. Only 3 new culms this year and a slight upsize. I have had to stake after the winter, too.

What I do know is that vivax aureocaulis does tend to sport all the other forms here and there (i.e. plain green vivax, vivax huangwenzhu and huangwenzhu inversa)
Does huangwenzhu Inversa sport huangwenzhu? Like your self I have seen Aureocaulis sport huangwenzhu
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Deane wrote:
Nicholas wrote:

Does huangwenzhu Inversa sport huangwenzhu? Like your self I have seen Aureocaulis sport huangwenzhu
Mine in IN 'sported' Aureocaulis.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
iain

Post by iain »

iain wrote:I hope my Ph. huangwenzhu will sport some yellow culms.
I think maybe I shouldn't have butted into this thread. When I said "yellow culms" I meant the f. aureocaulis, having read P. Whittaker's description of huangwenzhu and it's potential.
Boohoo?
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Hello everyone. This grove of Vivax H.I. 'Savannah' Has been in the ground since 2008, and was started from rhizomes. Adam Turtle, Roger Lewis Sr., Roger Jr.,and myself were walking through the groves at the Savannah Bamboo Farm And Coastal Gardens, and noticed this sport from an aureocaulis grove. The groves had just been edged with a rooter, and lots of rhizomes were exposed. I asked permission of the director to collect some, and potted them up when I got home. They all survived, and were true to H.I. Several of you have this clone from trades with me. The largest culm is a little over three inches. The grove covers 33 paces X 30 paces. It has turned out to be more hardy than the aureocaulis clone which I planted in 2006, which top killed this last winter. The flag pole is 25'.
Attachments
IMG_8745.JPG
IMG_8738.JPG
IMG_8721.JPG
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
ryanchristensen

Post by ryanchristensen »

Holy crap that is an awesome grove! :bounce: