Fargesia sp. 'Jiuzhaigou 1'

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

UPBooMatt
Location info: 0

Re: Fargesia sp. 'Jiuzhaigou 1'

Post by UPBooMatt »

Just a couple (6 so far) fall shoots. 1 sure looked like a rhizome as it broke the surface, and has now started to look more shoot like. The one farthest from the clump (4"+) is the newest one. It wasn't there yesterday morning, and then we got 1" of rain, and another 1/2" overnight. This morning, there it was almost 2" tall and well away from the main clump!
Attachments
IMG_25082018_145053_(1200_x_675_pixel).jpg
IMG_25082018_145100_(1200_x_675_pixel).jpg
IMG_25082018_145107_(1200_x_675_pixel).jpg
wind-borne

Post by wind-borne »

UPBooMatt wrote:Just a couple (6 so far) fall shoots.
Looking good…

though
I do wonder what will survive if you get 'true' fall shoots, Oct not August :mrgreen:
given your zone
Last edited by wind-borne on Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"memory is the future of the past"
UPBooMatt

Post by UPBooMatt »

Heh heh, if it shoots in October, it may already be below freezing regularly...I won't hold my breath on any that come out much later than...NOW...lol. First frost can come by the end of September here (that's rare), but certainly by the end of October is our norm.

Gorgeous picture by the way. I've admired your juiz. on numerous occasions.

Number 7 popped up today. Regardless of anything else, I'm happy it's happy.
Attachments
IMG_26082018_155734_(1200_x_675_pixel).jpg
NobeyamaGP

Post by NobeyamaGP »

Good looking shoots. I'm going to have to get some Jiuzhaigou plants one of these days. They always look so good in pictures.

I'm curious though, are Fall shoots a common occurrence? I just my first plants in the ground in Spring of this year (3 Phyllos and a Fargesia Rufa) and I was wondering if I should be looking out for more shoots from my plants. Is it only something that happens from time to time? Does it seam to happen more frequently on a particular species?
UPBooMatt

Post by UPBooMatt »

It's more species related than anything else as I understand it. Juiz is one of those that tends to do a spring/summer shoot and then a separate fall round of shoots.

Chimonobambusa quadrangularis is another, that one shoots predominantly in the fall.

I know there are others, these are the two I have that have atypical shooting schedules as compared to Phyllostachys. They are both first year plants for me though, so I speak from research, not local climate experience.
Rufledt

Post by Rufledt »

I'll be very interested to see how they survive winter at your place. I want to plant a few fargesias here in zone 5 as well. These are first year plants you said, what have you had in the ground over a winter so far? Did they look ok?
jerzyjerzy

Post by jerzyjerzy »

All fall shoots are top-killed at my site (zone 6B, Poland). Both Fargesia Jiu, and Polystachys aureosulcata had some fall shoots last year, but they had no time to harden before winter. The lower parts, covered with mulch, lived and leafed out this year, though.
UPBooMatt

Post by UPBooMatt »

My bissetii is the only bamboo I have that overwintered outdoors last year.

Details and pics are in my zone 5 madness thread, but I dug a hole and buried the pot to soil level, put 2 feet of leaves on that, and then snow as it fell. We had -15F for a low, and a dozen days below zero. No upsize but I blame myself for frying the leaves with spring sun.
wind-borne

Post by wind-borne »

NobeyamaGP wrote:I'm curious though, are Fall shoots a common occurrence? I just my first plants in the ground in Spring of this year (3 Phyllos and a Fargesia Rufa) and I was wondering if I should be looking out for more shoots from my plants. Is it only something that happens from time to time? Does it seam to happen more frequently on a particular species?
I have jiu 1,9, and Genf and all shoot in fall and not any of my other Fargesias do.
UPBooMatt

Post by UPBooMatt »

Wind-borne, if you had to choose, do you like the juiz 1, or the Genf, better? I really only had a place in mind for one plant, plus all of what I'm trying in my zone is highly experimental...lol. So I spent a long time deciding between the two. Obvious differences you have noticed in your time with them?
wind-borne

Post by wind-borne »

UPBooMatt wrote:Wind-borne, if you had to choose, do you like the juiz 1, or the Genf, better? I really only had a place in mind for one plant, plus all of what I'm trying in my zone is highly experimental...lol. So I spent a long time deciding between the two. Obvious differences you have noticed in your time with them?
I like the Genf more but if I were to have only one I would choose #1.

Genf resembles an electrified #1.
The leaves leap out horizontally. A leaf has about half the mass of #1 with more interesting shape and color, fat at the base moving to a sharp point at the tip.

The leaves hang vertically with a distinct grace from the horizontal branches with a ho-hum color to my eyes.

The hang of the leaves would be the tie breaker if I had to choose but I don’t. :mrgreen:

In terms of growing;
the biggest negative is the weakness of new shoots with #1, not uncommon to have 2/3 of seasons shoots mowed down by the previous seasons growth.
Last edited by wind-borne on Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UPBooMatt

Post by UPBooMatt »

Thanks for the info and the pics! So far I'm loving mine, and I think based on what you describe, I made the right choice. I do like the dangling leaves...and the colors...my the colors...lol

Up to 10 new shoots in the last week... :D
UPBooMatt

Post by UPBooMatt »

Oh and you're welcome to leave the pics. They may be of use to someone stumbling across this thread. There isn't a whole lot of "real world" info or comparison photos on the Juiz's out there.
Leo S

Post by Leo S »

That is a really nice clone of Fargesia there. Beautiful.
I hope it flourishes for you.

Keep in mind my observation about needing a high in organics, soft, & mildly acidic soil. If it starts to decline on you, this would be my first issue to consider.