Yunnanensis??? Or gaolinensis

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Deane
Location info: 0

Yunnanensis??? Or gaolinensis

Post by Deane »

I have Yunnanensis planted next to my Gaolinensis but as it’s grown up it looks identical to my Gaolinensis, are they very similar or could I have two Gaolinensis?
Attachments
BA86D74D-EA03-4293-87CE-7CABA1BF51EB.jpeg
93B32791-0723-4604-B6AC-337D40B02463.jpeg
UPBooMatt

Re: Yunnanensis??? Or gaolinensis

Post by UPBooMatt »

Aren't those two, or at least one of them an ID that is in a "limbo" of sorts...wouldn't suprise me if one was mislabeled as the other at some point...or them could just be the same. They certainly look identical to me in your pictures.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Birinda Gaolinensis, Yunnanensis, fungosa, black stem and many more seem to be the same bamboo or very similar. When someone finally figures out how close they are, they will most likely get a name which will end the mess. Recent flowering of Borinda made things even worse and we now have a flood of practically identical plants under different names.
Deane

Post by Deane »

Thanks for the replys, it seems your both right, this is what Jos van der Palen said on the matter “Confusion and the end of a myth: Harvested seeds of F. gaolinensis near Song Ming were named Fargesias songmingensis but they represent at most a different variety. Other local varieties that were given local names as Fargesia fungosa, F. huaningensis, F. papyrifera, F. similaris, F. songmingensis and F. yunnanensis also belong to F. gaolinensis.
Chris S
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
Location: SE UK 400ft Zone 8/7 Low usually 28F, -4C (-10, -12, -14, -1, -6C last 5); High 99F, 37C in 2019

Post by Chris S »

Deane, you really should read http://www.bamboo-identification.co.uk/ ... _seed.html

and also http://www.bamboo-identification.co.uk/ ... ngosa.html

taking into account the valuable work at the species level undertaken by Dr Demoly

I know that is not jolly social media, nor as much fun as fake news, and I know it is difficult to read on a phone, but it was put there in the hope that it might be read. Jos read it!

I was wondering if you, being involved in buying, marketing, and all that stuff can possibly enlighten us as to what to call it, politely that is. Is it product diversification, is it market segmentation, is it ethical? We see more and more of this these days, for example of course, seed of D. strictus and P. edulis sold under any pretty name you like, and different leads, eg search results, taking us to different websites, that are uncannily similar, with same products at same prices, but presented differently, e.g. Milletts & Blacks.

To go back to the bamboo, I obtained samples from different sources, France, Germany, China, and raised them, and they are definitely not identical, which may simply be because they are showing the variation we now know to expect from bamboo seedlings, or could it be because the seed collections were made all across Yunnan, as the invented names might lead us to believe? Who knows. Well, I know very well who knows, but they of course are not telling...
Chris
SE England
bamboo-identification.co.uk

Think globally, act locally
Deane

Post by Deane »

Chris S wrote:Deane, you really should read http://www.bamboo-identification.co.uk/ ... _seed.html

and also http://www.bamboo-identification.co.uk/ ... ngosa.html

taking into account the valuable work at the species level undertaken by Dr Demoly

I know that is not jolly social media, nor as much fun as fake news, and I know it is difficult to read on a phone, but it was put there in the hope that it might be read. Jos read it!

I was wondering if you, being involved in buying, marketing, and all that stuff can possibly enlighten us as to what to call it, politely that is. Is it product diversification, is it market segmentation, is it ethical? We see more and more of this these days, for example of course, seed of D. strictus and P. edulis sold under any pretty name you like, and different leads, eg search results, taking us to different websites, that are uncannily similar, with same products at same prices, but presented differently, e.g. Milletts & Blacks.

To go back to the bamboo, I obtained samples from different sources, France, Germany, China, and raised them, and they are definitely not identical, which may simply be because they are showing the variation we now know to expect from bamboo seedlings, or could it be because the seed collections were made all across Yunnan, as the invented names might lead us to believe? Who knows. Well, I know very well who knows, but they of course are not telling...
Thanks very much for your reply Chris, the problem is not reading the text on a phone (as I am on a iPad) but the problem is reading it and processing the information as I am dyslexic, it’s very frustrating as I would love to read all my bamboo books from start to finish and gain as much information about bamboos as I can. I am not involved in marketing, I am a buyer for a fruit and veg wholesaler, all I can say is that I have also seen many Rainbow super bamboos for sale that doesn’t even exist, both the two bamboos that I mentioned where not grown from seed by me but In fact bought as seedlings, maybe the names where mixed up there, I very much appreciate your input and have much respect for your knowledge, I wish there was more video information as I find it much easier to progress