Bamboo Advice - Privacy Barrier in MA?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

cpyne
Location info: 0

Bamboo Advice - Privacy Barrier in MA?

Post by cpyne »

Hi,

Greetings from Massachusetts. I have been considering some tall, cold friendly, bamboo as a privacy divider between my yard and my neighbors yard. Currently our yards are divided by a line of old pine trees which are starting to die off. I was planning to fill the gaps with bamboo as trees die off, eventually turning this pine wall into a bamboo wall. Wondering if any experts can comment on these questions...

1. How critical is a containment barrier if the bamboo is surrounded by lawn? Will mowing the lawn be sufficient to keep shoots from spreading out of control? At the closest spot, there would be ~10 feet of lawn between the bamboo and the house.

2. Does anyone have a species recommendation that will provide good privacy and be able to survive MA winters?

Thanks
Charlie
dependable
Location info: 0

Re: Bamboo Advice - Privacy Barrier in MA?

Post by dependable »

I am also in MA and have used similar tactics to establish bamboo screening.

Not sure what plant zone you are in, but the very hardiest and best looking at end of hard winter is Phyllostachys bissetti, and is fastest to establish itself. P aurosulcata comes in second, and has some interesting varieties. P aureosulcata spectabilis is quite nice with yellow culms with green stripes. But for pure practicality and good screening, P bissetti is best bet.

If you only have 10 feet, I'd highly recommend a barrier. If it were 40 or 50 ft, the mowed lawn might be sufficient.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Bamboo Advice - Privacy Barrier in MA?

Post by Alan_L »

Note that a barrier will be impractical with the pine tree roots there.