My Zig-Zag is on the loose!

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

CJ_IS_HERE
Location info: 0

My Zig-Zag is on the loose!

Post by CJ_IS_HERE »

Guys, question for you. I have a nice, 5 culm zigzag in a 20 gallon planter. Well while watering today I noticed an escapee out one of the drain holes around the backside of the planter. Rhizome on the prowl. Do I do damage by clipping it off or whats the suggested means for this. I don't think I want to plant it out in the yard. I'd like to keep it where it is.
Thanks
CJ
Blessings,
CJ
New business Venture
come take a look
www.2plus7.com/CJClute
Joseph Clemens
USDA Zone 9 (Some winters Zone 8)

RE: My Zig-Zag is on the loose!

Post by Joseph Clemens »

I'd stick it up the drain hole of an appropriately sized pot and fill the pot with media.
Joseph Clemens
Tucson, Arizona, USA
tstoehr

Post by tstoehr »

Just snip it with some hand-pruners where it exits the drain hole. You won't hurt the mother plant one bit.
Tim Stoehr
Canby, OR Z8
CJ_IS_HERE

Post by CJ_IS_HERE »

Thanks... I did snip it off and pushed the rhizome up inside ... Wonder if i should move up to the next planter size... I have several thick 60-70 gallon planters that I used as koi med tanks when my fish needed to be seperated and medicated from the pond. I found 3 of these huge barrel like planters at a swap meet for 20 bucks. Probably should have cleaned him out of all he had cause I realize now that these would work super as planter as well as they did as koi tubs. I could drill out some quarter sized holes for drainage and move my zig zag over to that one. Its easily 3 times the size as what its sitting in now.

Probably should have thought of this before snipping the escapee huh? D...D...D
:-D
Blessings,
CJ
New business Venture
come take a look
www.2plus7.com/CJClute
tstoehr

Post by tstoehr »

A bigger pot is always better, until you have to move it that is. I'd go for the bigger pot and just try to place it where it's going to stay for a a long time. And stop worrying about that rhizome you cut. Guaranteed plenty more where that came from.
Tim Stoehr
Canby, OR Z8
CJ_IS_HERE

Post by CJ_IS_HERE »

Think I will postpone the move...I'm gonna take a pic now and as it emerges or expands take a pic and continue till the planter is toast...just to track progress.

Thanks
Blessings,
CJ
New business Venture
come take a look
www.2plus7.com/CJClute